Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
factory mechanical lets you know when it needs to be replaced by blowing fuel through a wheep hole straight at hot exhaust manifold?! has there ever been deaths because of this? is there a fuel pump replacement not designed to kill you,thats available on the market?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I've Never seen a factory fuel pump blow fuel out that weep hole, becasue that weep hole you see is the air breather hole for the diaphragm to pull and push air. Not a weep hole for a failed fuel pump.

When they fail they bleed fuel into the engine in most instances, or they simply fail to push fuel at all due to a ballooned diaphragm.

·
Registered
674 Posts
A mechanical OEM style pump can pump fuel into the crank case or externaly some cases both. There are marine style mechanical pumps that have a tube on the weep hole that a hose is attached to and it is routed into the carb which is also a marine unit. This prevents fuel from leaking into the builge which in a boat could be instant deaster.
I have in the past converted carbs to marine versions to accomidate it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I've Never seen a factory fuel pump blow fuel out that weep hole, becasue that weep hole you see is the air breather hole for the diaphragm to pull and push air. Not a weep hole for a failed fuel pump.

When they fail they bleed fuel into the engine in most instances, or they simply fail to push fuel at all due to a ballooned diaphragm.
... It only gets worse... :frown:

If the pump diaphragm ruptures, the fuel will usually leak through the vent and possibly into the crankcase via the pump mounting. I would rather see this leak than have a crankcase full of gasoline anytime.

I know... I know... I should just bite my lip and remain quiet, but some of these responses are reminiscent of THE TWILIGHT ZONE... :eek:

Raise Shields Mr Zulu!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
That's a Nifty little device there Kultulz.

But, could you PLEASE tell the class how many fuel pumps have started fires on the car's you've worked on by Spewing Fuel out the breather hole?

In fact I challenge ANYONE on FM to come forth with a story no matter who made it up, about a car having a bad diaphragm fuel pump on a ford or shevie that made it catch fire.

It don't matter where you DON'T want the fuel to go in a failure, you should simply be aware when you DO have a failure. and 95% of the time the pump simply stretches and fails to move the fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the 30 years that I have been a certified tech I have seen this quite often. The majority of the pumps I have replaced was from external leaks out of the weep hole or around the pump body.I have to wonder if the ethanol in the gas plays into equation. Seems it got worse here in Iowa when they forced us to use it all the time. Was not as common before ethanol.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In the 30 years that I have been a certified tech I have seen this quite often. The majority of the pumps I have replaced was from external leaks out of the weep hole or around the pump body.I have to wonder if the ethanol in the gas plays into equation. Seems it got worse here in Iowa when they forced us to use it all the time. Was not as common before ethanol.
Oh yea new gas eats rubber.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Like I said, they DO NOT squirt fuel out the hole onto the exhaust :)
Are you calling the man a liar?

It all depends where the vent hole is and its' orientation.

Most likely not a factory pump.

I learned many years ago to never say never.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I didn't mean to imply never, I meant to say that it never happens..... I've seen THOUSANDS of failed Fuel pumps on Ford Dodge and GM products, and they're almost all identical in design.

The design LOOKS stupid and dangerous, but has still never proved to be dangerous. Otherwise they'd have likely not put them on every car ever made in the entire universe... Or maybe would have changed the design...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have seen them squirt a good distance. I have lit fires putting a match over a removed oil fill cap.
Lets suppose it pumps fuel outthe vent hole hot header or a spark ignites the fuel car burns up. What evidence would be left to determine what caused it. Guessing a lot of times none as to how it started.

One reason it wouldnt happen all that often the pressure is rather low. Now a leak in a EFI system would be more apt to start a fire. Higher pressure fuel excaping partually atomized. Could be a big bang.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have seen them squirt a good distance. I have lit fires putting a match over a removed oil fill cap.

Lets suppose it pumps fuel outthe vent hole hot header or a spark ignites the fuel car burns up. What evidence would be left to determine what caused it. Guessing a lot of times none as to how it started.

One reason it wouldnt happen all that often the pressure is rather low. Now a leak in a EFI system would be more apt to start a fire. Higher pressure fuel excaping partually atomized. Could be a big bang.
THANK YOU! :tup:

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Well I have seen neither, and the match idea was effing stoooooopid. WHY in the hell would you hold a match over your engine? Everyone knows it's easier to burn your car to the ground with a torch...

Lastly, the number of this style of fuel pumps made on vehicles up until say 1980 ate damn near uncountable. And the number of car fire cases where there is no fault found is extremely small. Fire investigators are very very thorough.

If it was a problem or a hazard, the design would have changed long before they put them in side the fuel tanks.

But that's just me thinking here......

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well I have seen neither, and the match idea was effing stoooooopid. WHY in the hell would you hold a match over your engine? Everyone knows it's easier to burn your car to the ground with a torch...
Seems like there is a lot you have not seen.

Lastly, the number of this style of fuel pumps made on vehicles up until say 1980 ate damn near uncountable. And the number of car fire cases where there is no fault found is extremely small. Fire investigators are very very thorough.
And of course you have the insurer carriers statistics on car fires, even the ones that were not insured?

If it was a problem or a hazard, the design would have changed long before they put them in side the fuel tanks.
:confused:

Say one did leak in an in-tank installation, how would shooting fuel start a fire if the pump is immersed in fuel?

But that's just me thinking here......
I thought I smelled wood burning and just the thought is frightening... :eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
EFI wasnt talking about the pump persay but a fuel line leaking over the engine with all that pressure.
Holding a match over the oil fill with some gas in the oil just to prove it had gas in it. Nothing exploded fumes burned above the fill / valve cover not enough concentration to blow.
I have seen boats blow burn because the vent tube from the pump to the carb was removed or a automotive pump installed.
I have seen cars burned so bad most everything under the hood is melted.

Bottom line it could happen and no evidence is left.

Remember an old Falcon van. Started running like crap. Pulled the dip stick it was almost filled to the top of the tube. Mix of fuel and oil. Exhaust manifold had a crack. My friend who owned it wanted to drive us home if I would still ride along said I was lucky. But if I didnt he wouldnt drive it. I refused and we walked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In all my years with cars I've never seen ONE fuel pump loose fuel out the breather hole.

Not saying it can't happen but I'm saying that it DON'T happen. Think of all the fires that you never heard about over the last 45 or 50 years....
I have a 87 f250 with 351 3 weeks ago the Carter mechanical fuel pump quit pumping so I went and got a new one installed it and hit the road couple miles later i smell gas pull over and guess what I have fuel spraying put the side of pump. Take it off and exchange it get new one installed start driving no probs sweet. WRONG next day driving smell gas again sure as **** fuel spraying out the side of pump. Long story short I went trough a pump a day no **** for 6 days have recipes to prove it. Then finely I got one that worked great but wait a week later driving with the wife and my 4 week old baby when wife says I smell gas get out and guess what 7 mechanical pumps in 3 weeks 6 pf them leaked and one didnt pump. So u say that could never happen well the 7th pump is still on the truck!! You want a video for proof?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts