·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me if a 302 roller cam
has a fuel pumb drive lobe on it for use
with a mechanical fuel pump? I need to
know about both the stock roller cam and
-303E, B, X, etc. cams from Ford Racing.
I guess what I really need to know is if
you can put a mechanical fuel pump on a
86 and up roller motor??

thanks, Bruce

'83 Mustang GT
'89 Tbird

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
A late-model five-oh engine can operate w/a mechanical fuel pump, fuel pump eccentric (1-piece or 2-piece) and timing cover w/fuel pump boss. Be aware of the location of the timing pointer on the timing cover.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

Bruce

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you are referring to the eccentric bolted on to the end of the cam. It's not part of the cam itself, so the bottom line is - yes, but you need an ecentric and as mentioned earlier, a timing cover with the hole in it for the pump.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
There are 2 good solutions to this problem.

1-Find a timeing cover and eccentric with the cam bolt, washer and, dowel pin from an 82 to 85 mustang, they would be direct replacements, no issues with pointers or different cover bolts ( old covers are thinner at the bottom bolt positions, thus using shorter bolts )
2-Take your current cover off, mill out the hole where the fuel pump would go, I believe the bolt holes are there and taped. You will still need to find the eccentric, cam bolt, washer, and dowel pin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just did a 87 5.0 from a lincoln MKVII to put in my Falcon. The cam eccentric was on the motor under the timming cover. They made some engines both ways, for fuel injection or carbed atleast in 87. The holes are there and I believe they were tapped already . Just drill out the corners of the pocket and dremel it clean.
Jerry V 63 Falcon Futura

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everybody.

I'm building a mostly '90 roller motor
and am down to picking a cam. I was afraid I
was going to have to go the electric fuel pump route. I'm leaning towards a FRPP
..303E cam. Looks like a lot of other people
are also. The 303E's on EBAY are fetching
big bucks, for used cams anyway. This is
going into an '83 GT street car that is on
the road now with a stock '83 HO motor.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I personally prefer the B-303 for its duration, and the lift is only a squeeze less, and a little less lobe seperation, I cant say how those differentces will affect performance But I know the B cam is plenty capable of making power I made 282 at the tires with a B cam with a stock 89 long block.

Just my .02

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nastystang....thats pretty impressive!

Is/was that motor hard to live with?
I run a 3.47 rear end and cruise on the
interstate at about 2600. Would the
B cam handle that OK?

Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts