Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a fuel pump eccentric make noise? I am putting my Cleveland back together and have installed the 2 piece fuel pump eccentric and it seems real loose and could possibly rattle when the engine is running. I know the outer ring should rotate freely but with the pump installed it still seems loose and I am trying to avoid a headache after the engine is put back together.

Blue Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue Fastback on 3/27/02 5:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well on my late model 302, I used a 2 piece fuel pump eccentric, the outer part has 3 holes in it I believe, one for the bolt, one for the dowel, and one for the tab that is on the inner part of the eccentric. I dont know if your engine uses the same style, but here are a few questions for you if it is.

Is your cam bolt to long?
Is the cam dowel long enough to engage the eccentric securely?
Is the tab on the back side of the inner piece of the eccentric intact and engageing the outer piece correctly?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cam bolt does tighten down just fine. The tab on the inner eccentric locks into the cam gear fine. The problem I am concerned with is the outer ring of the eccentric. The timing gear is machined down for the eccentric and may be machined to much. That is the only thing that takes up the slop in the outer ring. I have heard of other people saying they have had problems with the eccentrics making noise in the past but not sure what they did to correct this problem.

Blue Fastback

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
In my 68,302 the outer ring is sloppy but not to the point of being concerned. Just make sure it is all together properly if it is still a concern to you, bolt up the inner ring only and measure the space in-between the ring and the gear. Then measure the outer ring thickness. Done!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may help, assuming that Cleveland and Windsor engines share the same parts under the timing chain cover. Note that there are two different timing chain part nummbers, one for the 1 piece eccentric, and another for the 2 piece. Check with the shop you purchased the timing chain and eccentric from to make sure you are using the right ones. I converted from a 2 piece to 1 piece
eccentric and had to exchange the timing chain for one with a slightly thinner center mount for the eccentric. This is so the eccentric will not kiss the timing chain cover.

gearhead
67 Fastback

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of using the one piece eccentric and just found it at a Mustang dealer for about $38. I have also been told that the 1 piece is thicker by another source. The timing gear can not be exchanged but I do have a friend in the machine shop.

Blue Fastback

·
Registered
398 Posts
The eccentric does not fit very tightly. Never heard one make any noise. The fuel pump always applies pressure to it, and there is plenty of oil up there to keep it quiet. As long as you're sure the camshaft bolt os OK and the timing gear is secure, go run it!

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts