Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering if the fuel pump ecentric on most 302's are the same my engine has a casting # e7te i think and the eccentric is cracked , also if anyone knows what type of harmonic balancer do i need for it as my old one is off a 289 and the rubber is all dry rotted , would i get a balancer according to the engine #'s and does it have to match the flywheel ? sorry for the newbie questions

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
If the crank is an 82' or newer, it uses a later model 50oz-in balancer. The 289 unit is the earlier 28oz-in piece.

E7TE indicates 1987. E for 80, 7 for 7

C is for the 60's decade, D is for the 70's
The number after it indicates the year of the decade.

Good Luck!

·
Subscriber
1,124 Posts
There are two different fuel pump eccentrics. A one piece and a two piece. Be sure to get the right one for your application.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do i know what type i need it had a 2 peice on it but that was from a 289

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piggipoo on 5/22/04 3:05am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piggipoo on 5/22/04 4:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I do know that if the wrong one is used, sometimes the eccentric can make contact with the timing cover. Had that happen on my Mustang...couldn't for the life of me figure out why the motor was hard to turn by hand, until I removed the water pump to repair a leak...a small hole where the eccentric rubbed through explained the problem.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I think the one piece has an elongated hole for a dowel pin to keep it secure and from spinning. The 2 piece has a tab bent towards the cam, the tab rest in the hole for the dowel pin. The thing is, you need a short pin for the 2 piece to accomodate the tab, and a little longer dowel pin for the one piece, so it captures the eccentric and secuers it from spinning. I think the 2 lengths are fixed and a good machine shop or Ford shop should be able to hook you up with what you need. I run a 2 piece on my car and use a shorter dowel pin, I think I still have the long dowel for the one piece.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You're right NastyStang.

The one piece(old style) fuel pump eccentric goes on the smooth cam gear. The two piece(new stlye) goes on a gear that has a small step on it. Also the pin in the cam is different between the two. The two piece uses a shorter pin so that the little tab can go in the hole. The one piece uses a longer pin that sticks out into the eccentric to keep it in place.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oliaar on 5/22/04 12:10pm ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts