Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need a new fuel pump for my 351W engine that came out of my parts car for stage 1 of my project, in the event that I am able to get a dual plane intake to go with the 4bbl. carb that i got from my friend (holley 650DP), would running just a stk. replacement fuel pump (mechanical, driven by the eccentric off the cam) be ok or do I need something that will deliver more fuel?

Remember that this is a stk. 351W engine out of my parts car (77 Granada) that I will install into my 78 car and I will be running the engine with my Hooker headers and dual exhaust system so I don't want to buy something that I can't reuse when stage 2 will proceed sometime after stage 1 is done. I quite sure that the stage 2 engine that I'll build for "project sleeper" will need a electric fuel pump with braided lines and a sump in the tank to feed it so I just want something to get me by for now in regards to the stk. fuel pump. TIA.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The stock pump should work fine on your stage 1 motor but why not just buy the electric one now if you think you will need it in the future.I find the mechanical pumps don't get the respect they deserve.If you buy a good quality one they can support a lot of horsepower.All of the musclecars had them right?If you get into real big hp or nitrous I would definitely get an electric one though.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I use a holley high volumn to feed my beast, it put me in the real low 13`s feeding a 650 Demon dbl pumper, and much cheaper than a electric pump

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys. I'm not going to worry about plumbing a new fuel setup until I do the stage 2 motor so that's why I just want a pump that will work for now, just wasn't sure if a stk. replacement pump would supply the fuel for a 650 DP.

The plans for my stage 2 engine is still undergoing changes at this moment and I'm also in the thick of my project with just getting the first stage done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While we're talking F.P.'s, how would I quieten down that noisey buzz? I have a Holley mounted on the frame rail w/rubber gromments. I'm thinking the buzz is electrical cause it varies with the load on the elect. system, so maybe I need larger wires? I'm using the size that came w/ the pump. Can't go mechanical.

85 F150, 95 302HO crate motor

Meaux
Foley, Al.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've been told that the electric carter fuel pump is 50% to 80% quieter. I'm running a Holley now and it does go up and down with the current. I just bought the Carter and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. It mounts 180 degrees opposite of the Holley. That is the reason a few people stated why it is more quiet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts