Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hooking up some BBK fuel rails on my 5.0 crate motor and am trying to keep fuel lines neat and orderly.

With the stock ford efi fuel rail hook up (86-93), the supply goes in at the front of the passenger side rail, goes to the pressure regulator(return), then goes thru the passenger side rail, and then through a small connection line to the drivers side rail.
My question is this:
Will I get proper pressure in both rails if I feed the passenger side rail through a tee that supplies fuel to the passenger side rail then has a line to the drivers side rail. The pressure regulator would still be on the passenger side rail? Or would this setup not allow for proper fuel pressure regulation in the drivers side rail?

Have any of you done the fuel run this way? Would there be any issues doing it in this manner?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Moderator: I may have put this in the wrong area. Please feel free to move to proper area.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Sorry - didn't catch your question until now. Yes, your concept is fine. In-fact, you can supply fuel at any point in the rail system and it will regulate properly. Conventional theory is to have flow through the rails to circulate cool fuel and remove any stray air bubbles (end-to-end flow, with regulator at outlet end), however they are effectively functional in virtually any arrangement.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I to missed your reply. Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I have switched to a set of trickflow rails and am feeding them off a tee configuration with the return lines from each rail going into a regulator.
Been working on this car for years, and now that I am retired hoping to get it on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Your setup is probably better, although only marginally, than a flow through all 8. There has been a lot of work done on showing the effects of injectors firing and instantaneous pressure in the fuel rail that the other injectors see. When I set up fuel rails, I either try to use a damper in the line from one rail to the other, or I use a large enough arc of braided line that can act in the same manner. Of course you don't want it to look silly, looped up around the fan, :) but an extra couple inches of something flexible between two fuel rails is better than a short hard line (although a nice hard line likely looks cleaner).

The way you did it, you reduced the number of injectors in each line by isolating banks, however, you also reduced the volume of fuel by half-ish. Regardless, in your case, the regulator, because of the return design, likely acts much more effectively as a damper "per rail" than it would if it was behind all 8 injectors.

A lot of talk to say, "sounds good to me!" LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts