Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm building a 67 Fairlane that will have a carburetor. It will have an electric fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulator and return line. I'm thinking about running the return line into the fuel tank drain hole. Anyone see a problem with this arrangement?

I'll be running a Holley 750 which likes a pressure of 7 psi. If I have a pump that puts out 7 psi with a little more volume than I will need will I actually need a return line?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The drain hole is at the lowest point in the tank which means your return line will be below that and exposed to hazards. The possibility of the line being damaged and spraying fuel from the pump would worry me.:oops: A safer option is to add a nipple to the fuel sender assembly for the return. Also not a bad idea to have a impact shut-off switch on a street car. I have one I savaged from a junkyard on my car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adrian,

I agree with your comments about the plumbing being at the lowest point. On a '67 Fairlane the plug is slightly above that on a 45 degree angle. To address having the fitting damaged I was planning to use a 45 degree fitting so that the fuel return line goes immediately up after leaving the tank. Doesn't totally eliminate the possibility of something hitting it but everything would be above the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wrestled a long time with the same problem and was about to do the same thing and use the lowpoint drain. I ended up putting a feeder can behind my left headlight and installed the electric fuel pump inside it. The pump pushes fuel to the engine and the return goes to the feeder can. Vacuum pulls any fumes out of the can which results in pulling gas from the gastank. This is on an efi engine that runs about 45 psi or so but it may work on a lighter pump too.I wanted only the original line from the gas tank but needed the high pressure and return line for the EFI.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think there may be some DOT regulation about fuel lines in the bottom of a tank. At one time thought about it and the amount of looking for it gave up and went with sender location with a drop tube inside.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Curious if your pump is also a high-volume? You can T your return at the inlet of your pump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts