Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my fuel sending unit in my 66 mustang to 3/8" line. I believe the original one is 5/16". I've hear of people removing the old line from the stock sending unit and soldering in a 3/8" line. I also want to be able to do AN fittings and stainless braided line from the sending unit to a fram canister filter. 3/8" line would set everything up nicely and i could use 6AN fittings. Anyone done similar mods? Will a later mustang sending unit work? (i believe some of the later ones are 3/8" line)
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
209 Posts
I recently installed a 3/8" fuel line in the 66 Fastback (342" stroker). This is the pre-bent line offered by several of the Mustang catalog vendors. At the tank, I installed a stock 3/8" sending unit that was made for a later model Mustang (1970??). Now that I have my instruments hooked up, I think that the gauge reads low for the amount of gas I put in the tank (new tank and 1st. 10 gals of gas). After everything else is finished, I will see if there is some way to adjust the float to give a more accurate reading. The difference may be related to the sending unit being designed for a deeper tank. Other than being 3/8", the lines, sending unit, and connections look stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About how far off is your gauge? I have a stock sending unit and my gauge reads 3/4 when it is full, probably cause the float's a little worn out or bent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts