Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 62 galxl500 on the roadthe first 3-4 miles everything was great,smooth acceleration, quick from a stoplite ,then as i was cruising at 45-50mph it died.i cranked n cranked and it would occasionally start but when i went to take off giving it gas it died.i had to have it towed home.sounds like a fuel problem.fuel pump is new,resealed gas tank,fuel filter is 2 yrs old.i never changed the rubber line from the tank to the steel line n from the steel line to the pump.im gonna change plugs,fuel filter n rubber hoses tommorrow.ill let u know how i make out.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Make sure to check the points.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Make sure to check the points.

OP: "first 3-4 miles everything was great,smooth acceleration, quick from a stoplite ,then as i was cruising at 45-50mph it died."

Arnold, did you mean to post your advice on this thead?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Yes putts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no poin, ive got a petronix ignition n its getting spark.im gonna change the fuel filter n plugs to eliminate that.carb is a holley 1850 list# 4bbl.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and do a cranking fuel volume test as outlined in the Ford Service Manual to start with.

David

PS: Was is a sudden engine cutoff or sagging, sputtering, or other?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sputtered than cutoff.then started it up it idled but wouldnt take the gas when i stepped on the pedal.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
my 63 did this when i first got it. turns out the pickup tube o the sender had a passage about he size of a pencil lead. cleaned out the gunk and away we went

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theprevious owner had the gas tank "sealed".I wonder if that had something to do with it.I replaced the fuel filter with a clear one.The filter is about half full when idling but i see what looks like ground pepper floating around.i may have to drop the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts