Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on the fuel system on my 66 mustang right now. It has a carter 6 PSI mechanical fuel pump. Anyways, my question is: can a fuel filter be mounted in the back of the car before the mechanical fuel pump? Has anyone done this before? I know mechanical pumps can push the fuel through a filter sufficiently, but can they pull through a filter from the back of the car sufficiently? I want to get the filter out of my engine bay, but im not ready to go with a whole new electric fuel pump system yet.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, but most people would recommend that you still keep the filter between the pump and carb. Lots of people run dual filters like that though for added protection.

-Brian

·
Registered
75 Posts
The diaphram in the fuel pump will over time slowly deteriorate, so having a filter between the pump and the carb is a good idea. Some of the inline filters look pretty clean too, if your intent of moving is for aesthetic purposes.

Chris

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a canister filter by the tank, and a little in-line filter before the carb. Works fine for me. i have the same pump too.
filter looks like this:

but its a Delco.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/2/02 6:06pm ]</font>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh good, i was actually planning on doing that fram canister filter, just wanted to make sure it would work. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts