Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone......
I'm replacing just about the whole fuel system in my 65 Galaxie. Tank, fuel line, fuel pump and so on. Looking at my fuel tank filler neck I've noticed how rusted it is in the inside of the neck. Its rusted about 6-8" from the bottom end. Tried looking for a replacement and no luck. If you have replaced or fixed/cleaned yours up, what did you do? I thought about cutting the tube near the top and use it and at the tank, add a aluminum tube and run a rubber hose in between. Do you think that would work? ANY help/suggestion would be great....
Thanks....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can the Urethane fuel tank liner be purchased from your local auto parts store?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can try there. I found mine at the paint shop. Just about any speed shop should have it. I have a 65 too. Just be aware that our tank is a "one-off" in that it is only 20 gal. So sending unit is specific for the year. While 67-68 sending units (25 gal tanks) will fit they will not be accurate on fuel level unless you recalibrate the float. The fuel filler neck is hard to find unless you find it at a junk yard. Here in Tucson I am blessed with cars that have no engines but the bodies last forever,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I purchased my tank (25 gal.) with the sending unit. If using the sending unit made for the 25 gal. tank will I still have to recalibrate the float? If so, how do you do that?
Thanks....

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Thanks tim. I could use the extra 5 gallons, myself, good to knowisisa simple swap. What about straps?

CWood, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just used longer carriage bolts and the origional straps. Fits Fine. I also put body moulding (asphalt felt) on the inside of the straps and the contact areas where the body hits the tank(not really thick stuff). I used a motorcycle jack (since I have a bike) to lift the tank into place. I could have done it with a regular jack but balancing it would be a problem. I'm kind of a one-man shop here!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts