Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 Gran Torino. The fuel guage moves slightly to the "E" and stays there. I though it was the guage but it is working. My next move was to get a new sending unit. My question is: Am I able to drop the fuel tank from the car and open it up? Is it a sealed unit or is it in 2 pieces? Has anyone performed this type of work before and are there any tips or snags that I might encounter?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marzz22 on 10/28/06 11:38am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marzz22 on 10/28/06 11:39am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
You can access the sender on the front left lower side of the gas tank make sure that it is almost empty first!!! Ther is a ring that holds the sender in to the tank in should turn about a 1/4 of a turn and release the sender.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Might want to change the voltage regular behind the dash first.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If the temp gauge is acting just like the fuel gauge, then the IVR (Instrument voltage regulator) is probably the problem.

If the temp gauge is OK, then there is a problem with the fuel gauge or the sender.

Have someone ground the sending unit wire and watch the fuel gauge. It should peg pretty quickly. If it does, then the sender is the problem.

Greg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen for the tips. I will check the voltage regulator behind the dash and try the grounding technique.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I might not be understanding the question correctly, but if you are saying that the guage is not the problem yet it still shows that your tank is emty when it is full, try replacing the floot on the sending unit. They sometimes get holes in them and fill up with gasoline giving you a reading of being emty. You should be able to remove the sending unit without the need to drop the tank, just make sure that the fuel level in the tank is lower than the opening for the sending unit. Pull out the sending unit and check the floot for leaks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the site 1bad6t. Trikar, my father-in-law said to pull the sending unit out and he can fix it. Are they repairable?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I never tried to fix one. I can see where varnish can form on the rheostat and give a bad reading. Maybe a good careful cleaning with brake or carburetor cleaner will do the job. Getting a good tight seal ain't easy after removing the sender from the tank. My new sender had two different thickness gaskets to choose from. Use a brass drift punch when removing/installing so we won’t hear it go Bang when it sparks. Be sure key is off when pulling/connecting wire too.

If your Gran Torino uses the same tank as a Mustang then you can buy a sending unit from a Mustang vendor for $40 or less.
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MPFMP&Category_Code=gas_sending

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That brings up another question: How can I know what parts actually interchange with other models? Is their some kind of cross-reference book that I can purchase?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
http://www.hollanderinterchange.net/
But with a $450 price tag. Look in Vendors catalog and notice the part numbers. My catalogs are not Mustang. I see in Dearborn Classic that 72-79 Ranchero radiators are the same part number as 72-79 Torino and the gas tanks carry a different part number (GT102 for Torino/GT101 for Ranchero)

Anybody know the (Dearborn) part number for a Mustang?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 11/1/06 4:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that site. I heard of that before but did not look into it. I think it's time to break the piggy bank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts