Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a different tank setup in my Comet. I bought what Summit and RCI call a fuel cell. No foam in it, Basicly just a aluminum tank with AN fittings. I am installing it where the old tank went. And really want to be able to fill it from the factory fill location. here is picture of tank in trunk with the tanks fill and the factory fill marked.

I am going to buy a different fill neck for tank, a 45 degree instead of straight, RCI Racing 7036B - RCI Fuel Cell Fast Fill Hose Valves - Overview - SummitRacing.com
And run a fill hose something like this to the factory fill location in tail panel.. In picture just used old rad hose had laying around but will get correct hose when installing.

I think there is enough drop so the new tank fills ok. Does this look like it would work?
The new tank is about 2 inch higher than old tank.

The new tank has Fill valve, sending unit, and AN connections for fuel feed, fuel return, and roll over vent.

Plan "A" is mount tank, hook up a fill hose from new tank to factory gas fill and factory cap which is vented. Run feed to mech. fuel pump on engine, cap the return and roll over valve fittings.

Plan "B" is mount tank, hook up fill hose from new tank to factory location but instead of using factory vented style cap use a non-vented cap something like on new tank. Cap the return line, run feed to mech. fuel pump on engine, and use the roll over vent since cap won't be vented.

Opinions?? Plan "B" better? where should I run the rollover vent line if going with plan "B" or is plan "A" OK?

Thanks for any and all help/opinions

Lou

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Looking good Lou. Angled fill hose should be no issue with pump gas nozzles or flexible can spouts. Rigid may be a different matter. I would go plan "A" and verify the vented cap is an anti-surge style, but check if any sanctioning body rules may apply in the future, and go that direction. I'm thinking Plan "B" is fine, but a bigger PITA to do and could be a bit smelly on the street. Thinkin' out loud.

David

In-case others are not familiar with the anti-surge style caps, they are normal vented caps with a surge valve to let air in and out, but stop heavy fuel from sloshing out on acceleration. Normally used on cars with rear-facing gas caps, and will always have "anti-surge" printed or stamped on them:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think as long as you keep a decent down angle on your filler hose it will be fine. If it has to come up to horizontal gas may back up in the line and spill out when you are putting gas in the tank.

I had fuel spill problems with my old stock 65 gas cap. It just didn't seal up completely. On launches at the track and particularly if I had more than 2 or 3 gallons in the tank it would spill fuel all the way down the race track. The track said fix it or no more racing. Part of this problem is that there is so little pipe and hose from the tank to the gas cap that fuel wants to run back up the back of the tank.

I considered a few things like filling in the stock filler hole in the tail light panel and putting gas in by opening up the trunk. That would be a nice security feature but nobody has ever tried to salt my tank or steal gas. I could relocate the filler cap and switch to the cobra road racing type that goes up on the top side of the quarter panel.

I finally came across a 71 style flip open cap which I liked anyway and also it is just a decorative gas cap cover. Underneath it is a sealing gas cap like the one in David's picture up there. That is what I did. Now the track is happy I'm not running a trail of gas all the way down the quarter mile and I'm glad I don't have the danger of catching the road on fire.

My gas spill problem would also happen if I romped on the car from a stop on the street as well. If a spark were to hit that gas while it was still wet it could be a bad situation.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good Lou. Angled fill hose should be no issue with pump gas nozzles or flexible can spouts. Rigid may be a different matter. I would go plan "A" and verify the vented cap is an anti-surge style, but check if any sanctioning body rules may apply in the future, and go that direction. I'm thinking Plan "B" is fine, but a bigger PITA to do and could be a bit smelly on the street. Thinkin' out loud.

David
Thanks David, Plan "A" is the one I prefer, definitly easier :)
But if I needed to I would do plan "B"
I will make sure I get a anti-surge type. I was worried about a vented cap leaking fuel.

If I need to change it later for any track rules then I will deal with it then.
I am using the old/original tank to make a cover that goes under new tank. So from underneath it will look like a stock tank instead of the fuel cell look. The new tank, old tank bottom shell and the new tank cover will all be bolted in. So if I have to change it later wouldn't be that hard. Plus the car is going to be mostly street car. Track maybe 1 or 2 times a year and might do the flashlight drags where I don't think they have many rules.

Thanks again
Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think as long as you keep a decent down angle on your filler hose it will be fine. If it has to come up to horizontal gas may back up in the line and spill out when you are putting gas in the tank.

I had fuel spill problems with my old stock 65 gas cap. It just didn't seal up completely. On launches at the track and particularly if I had more than 2 or 3 gallons in the tank it would spill fuel all the way down the race track. The track said fix it or no more racing. Part of this problem is that there is so little pipe and hose from the tank to the gas cap that fuel wants to run back up the back of the tank.

I considered a few things like filling in the stock filler hole in the tail light panel and putting gas in by opening up the trunk. That would be a nice security feature but nobody has ever tried to salt my tank or steal gas. I could relocate the filler cap and switch to the cobra road racing type that goes up on the top side of the quarter panel.

I finally came across a 71 style flip open cap which I liked anyway and also it is just a decorative gas cap cover. Underneath it is a sealing gas cap like the one in David's picture up there. That is what I did. Now the track is happy I'm not running a trail of gas all the way down the quarter mile and I'm glad I don't have the danger of catching the road on fire.

My gas spill problem would also happen if I romped on the car from a stop on the street as well. If a spark were to hit that gas while it was still wet it could be a bad situation.
This was my concern, Gas spilling out of back when pulling out hard. I worked at a gas station back when I was in high school. A lot of the cars had the fill/gas cap behind the lic. plate. I remember watching cars pull out after getting filled and seeing some of them leave a gas trail down the road as they pulled out. I Don't want that!. I am going to go with the anti-surge type cap that David posted.
I like the flip cap you have for your Mustang, reminds me of the flip cap the old chargers had. Actually thought about using one of those but it doesn't look right on my Comet in my opinion

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I am using the old/original tank to make a cover that goes under new tank. So from underneath it will look like a stock tank instead of the fuel cell look.
Lou, you're gonna send Customs and Homeland Security into a tizzy at the border.

Hottarod - where did you find that cap cover? It also reminds me a bit of the cool fuel cap on my '70 Charger R/T. Ah, high school memories... Sunoco 97... oh well - back to work.
:D
David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I think you will have problems filling the tank with plan A. I say that because it is a bear on 65 and older Falcons and Comets with the stock system even when properly vented and you're showing even more of an acute angle. Many Falcon owners have switched to a filler in the trunk which I plan to do also. I would do some testing, but you can always change it. You can also vent the tank with the original vent line or at least follow it's path.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lou, you're gonna send Customs and Homeland Security into a tizzy at the border.

David
Never gonna see the Border lol. Going to have some people scratching their head when they look underneath car tho. I plan on installing a bulkhead into the old tank shell. I will run feed line from new tank to inside part of bulkhead with AN fitting. on outside of tank I will run stock looking steel (flare) gas line. Trying to keep it stockish looking. here is pict with the old tank shell in place.

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you will have problems filling the tank with plan A. I say that because it is a bear on 65 and older Falcons and Comets with the stock system even when properly vented and you're showing even more of an acute angle. Many Falcon owners have switched to a filler in the trunk which I plan to do also. I would do some testing, but you can always change it. You can also vent the tank with the original vent line or at least follow it's path.
You may be right Retyler. I hope not lol, but it is a concern. I have never put gas in the car. Bought it as a project. Did dump a gallon or so from gas can into it when I bought. Just to make sure it ran and drove but never took it to a station. Worst case I have to fill from inside trunk.

My original tank didn't have a vent line. Just a feed coming out of sending unit. and vented gas cap.

Thanks
Lou

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
From experiance on my '65 Falcon I'd say you'll spend waaaay more time at the gas station than you'll want to. The factory really messed up with that design. Even before I swapped in my fuel cell I had cut off the factory hose and installed a cap inside the trunk. I still have the cap on the rear so it looks original from the back.

Now with the fuel cell it's also a trunk filled system. The tank has a vent line that I ran aluminum tubing from to the outside with a loop in it so it won't vent liquid at all. Mine is an RCI foam filled plastic tank that I covered with a metal sheet and boxed it in with aluminum channel raising it slightly to keep it from hanging too low. You can see more photos in my garage photos here if you want.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts