Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Fuelpump - but which One?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  extech 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks - want to renew my Fuelpump which I think become Play in the Lever Arm. Do you know a Source or Brand for a Fuelp Pump which got Auxillary Springs to prevent Fuel Pump Lever Arm from Shaking, Wiggle from side to Side, Floating....? Named Anti-Float Springs I guess

My recent Fuel Pump has the Fuel Filter Element within. Does Carter or AC have these Springs or Auxillary in- outside?

Which Fuelpumps - I know there are Differences in Prices - have you on your Engine? I do like the Mech. Fuelpumps - don´t want electrical....

Oliver

#3 ·
Where is the Spring located? Can this been seen under the Lever Arm?

I got one fuel Pump as a Spare - shake it in the Air and it got little Play in it

....I guess and Hope the Premium Pump will prevent this and is quiet when shakin around....
This Extra so my suggestion - will prevent toggle, Wiggle and Floating....

Does NAPA send to Germany?

Olli

#5 ·
what motor is this going on? The photo shows a Cleveland pump...?

I've rebuilt about 200 fuel pumps for Windsor, FE and Lima engines and I normally avoid these crimped-together items.

Typically the Carter pumps that screw together are better but also higher value, and there are lots of units with a fuel filter underneath. The drawn diaphragm in the video actually shows the carter screw-together kind, and the highest performance ones have a spring at the top of the lever, one underneath and one for the diaphragm return (this is the one that controls the fuel pressure, nothing else does).

In reality you only need a pump with one spring on the lever, not two unless you're going to be turning 6,000rpm on your motor.

#6 ·
Hi folks,

I do need a Fuel Pump for a FE 390. @ Jiffy - which Brand in Pumps got this One Spring? Carter? AC? What would you prefer?

Realized that Carter Pumps are made in Korea and cost much than regular Pumps who maybe rattle in Pumping Arm Lever.

NAPA does not send to Germany....checked this....-((

My recent Pump got Fuel Bowl Filter Screwed-On. As Part of the Unit.

The Video is for example....I´m not the Guy in the Video - just loaded as a Lesson...

Olli

#7 ·
I'm not that picky on the kind of fuel pump as long as it has the fuel filter on the bottom. I prefer the one with the fuel line connections off set rather than side by side but that is just because i find it easier to connect the fuel lines. The last pump I bought was from autozone. My pump went out in town so i walked down the street and got it, happy they had one in stock. That was around 10 yrs ago. I have no idea how many springs or anything else. I needed it to get home and got it. :)

#8 ·
Well, my preference would be a Carter one for an FE, and I prefer the screw-together ones but they are more expensive typically.

Carter are generally reliable, good value and are a known quantity. The crimp ones are simple, the button-top ones are expensive as are the Carter X pumps which are the "higher performance" versions, so as a trade-off for value and brand I would suggest these examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1974-1...664686&hash=item443afeb9ca:g:0fcAAOSw52Zaz4mI

This is a Carter-built pump, sold by AC Delco after they ground the CARTER logo off it. It's not a screw together kind so not worth rebuilding if it ever failed, but for cheapness this is pretty good.

Here's another one - made by Carter in the USA. Same as above

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-...293899?hash=item4b659c5ecb:g:btIAAOSwJO9c-Tco

Finally - if anyone has an old FE fuel pump sitting around that is due to be thrown out, and the fuel pump lever is the same shaper as the ones in these auction, I would love to buy the levers from you for the reproduction Carter X pumps I build. Let me know please...

#11 ·
Agreed. The first AC Delco linked by Jiffy seems to have a different fitting, meaning you might have to do work some plumbing. Shotrod64's comment on the positioning of the fittings is a worthwhile consideration as well, especially if the tube from the pump to carb on your ride is a "hard line" at both ends..

#12 ·
Now I´d bought the One in the Second Link with correct fittings...Can this old Fuel Pumps be overhauled with Spare Diaphragms etc? Screw On Case or One Unit?

The One I bought was even cheaper cause I could make the Seller a suggestion... 5 Dollars cheaper...And got the Spring under the Lever

Could not be a mistake by buying it..

Oliver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.