Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '06 Mustang GT, 18,000 miles. It needs an oil change and I was thinking of using full synthetic instead of synthetic blend. Need some opinions on benefits and best oil to use.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Benefits:

1: Longer lasting than dyno oil and higher resistance to stress.

2: More expensive... As much at 300% more cost. (is that a good thing or a bad thing?)

3: You get more mileage out of synthetic. (and a cheap pair of sneakers)

4: Synth oil gives more immediate protection on startup in extreme cold conditions because it don't thicken like dino oil with colder temps.

5: Synth oil protects in higher temp ranges than does dino oil.

I don't use it because I change my dino oil at about 4K miles, and nobody I know can afford that liquid gold.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FE.
I was told that in the newer engines you must use at least a synthetic blend. I was wanting to know if the full synthetic was that much better than the synthetic blend. I will still use the dino oil in my 460.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Synthetic oil is ENGINEERED to be superior to conventional dino oil. so it's simply better. No two ways about it.

I don't use it because of not having money when the oil change time comes around, so I stay with bottom shelf hours brand scraped off the floor dino oil, and guess what.... My engines run perfectly and don't have sludge build up of a bunch of horrible wear on them...

The REAL Question should be..... Is Synthetic oil NECESSARY to protect your engine or will Dino oil do just as good under certain conditions, certain conditions being Normal day to day driving. The answer is YES, Dino oil is just as good under all normal conditions as Synthetic, and it's cheaper to use in the long run under normal conditions.

Synthetic was invented decades ago for use in Extreme conditions for air plane engines...

I have nearly 200K on all my cars but the Falconaround, which has only 49,747 miles on it, and she'll get dino oil until she hits 300K (at this rate she'll hit 300K miles in the year 2240) :D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use syn, on all my daily drivers, 10/40 been using mobil one,the longest, my 02 dakota has 250K, all with Mobil 1, oil looks new after 7K intervals. my 96 mustang 175K still no issues there. my older vehicles 64 comet, 00 dodge van, (low use) i use reg oil, change 1 or 2 time a year.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
I might be off in my estimation, but the odometer today after getting a car wash and buying socks, was 49,927 miles. Spread over 52 years is 960 miles per year, at a nice round thousand per year average, it will take about 150 years making the official 200K mark August 3rd 2163, and I will be turning 36 on November 26 of 2163...... So I guess I'll see ya then? B-day party my house for the Falconaround's 200,000th mile party and my B-day all wrapped into one? :D :D :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
AmsOil was invented for extended drain intervals as Al Amatuzio was a jet fighter pilot and synthetic oil was used in them as dino oils weren't getting it done!

I have been an AmsOil Dealer and user since 1971 and use it in everything I own including their oil filters.

Riding lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc.
Portable and race car trailer generators and race moped
1985 F250 dsl, 90,000?? miles, 15w40 Marine oil,
1997 F350 dsl, 70,000 miles, 35,000 on new FoMoCo warrantied engine due to cooling water cavitation erouding cylinder walls in block, 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel
2006 Mustang GT automatic, Signature Series 5w20, bought 2 yrs ago w/55,000, now 65,000
2006 Explorer 4.6 V-8 4x4, bought in '07 w/18,000 miles, now has 72,000
1965 Falcon bought new 319W or 347W drag race soon street driver used 20w50 race oil, Amsoil no-slip tranny oil. Will be using 5w30, 10w30, or 15w50 Dominator oil
1964 Falcon 412W son's drag race only 15w50 Dominator oil, Amsoil no-slip tranny oil
All differentials

Everything gets oil changed 'Once' a year!

Rat540 on Speedtalk does the 4-ball testing of a lot of oils and Amsoil ranks #1 on most of the individual tests for several types/grades.

412 raced for 3 years and valve tip broke off but keeper held valve. Reused rod bearings and cam bearings, replaced two main brgs as they were scratched from debris. I use recleanable round type oil filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts