Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 1968 disc brake hub, the bearing cups need to come out, but I cannot get a bearing driver in there, the center is to narrow. Now on the inner bearing, it has a lip to seat the oil seal on that is preventing the inner race from coming out. Anybody have an idea for a tool or trick to get these out and then a trick to re-install the inner cup.
I would hate to have to re-use 40+ year old bearings and leave my nice new timkens collecting dust. Please help, thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Long Strong Punch.

Use a grinder to narrow the tip and Angle it slightly so you have a half moon style slight wedge so it presses up against the exposed part of the Race.

ALL bearing races have two exposed edges on the back side, clean out the grease and you'll find it.

There are other way's but you gotta use your head for every situation.

Driving the race race back in is as simple as going through the socket sets until you find a match. I have a 3/4" drive set in Metric and SAE and it's perfect for every job.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use the old race to drive in the new one, just make sure the thick part of the taper is against the new race so the old one can be driven back out.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts