Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought id share this since I’ve seen a few others have trouble removing the gas tank from Galaxies from the mid sixties mine being a 65 has the metal filler neck that goes into the driver side of the tank. My first attempt at removing the tank was probably about 8 years ago I cut the bolts holding the straps cut the old rubber hose and removed the wire to the sending unit and all the screws holding the filler neck to the quarter panel and pushed and pulled with everything I had but the filler neck wouldn’t budge soon after I lost interest in the project and the car got put in storage because we couldn’t get spark for the ignition fast forward to now and I have the car running and almost driving but still hasn’t gotten that tank out I tried penetrant acetone even picks to get the seal to let go of the filler neck, pushed and pried on the tank till I bent the side of the tank I wiggles it shook it and decided I was either going to take a torch and melt the seal or cut the tank out at which point (not making this up) was considering renting a uhaul truck just to run over it with at which point I probably would’ve thrown it in the yard to use for target practice in hopes to reduce my anger towards it

so in hopes of not burning the car to the ground I decided to fill the tank full of water I got it completely full and realized I didn’t have a small hose to siphon the water back out with so I left and went to Walmart when I got home I took my hose and a snaked it down into the tank and went to the other end to suck the water through only nothing happened I just keep getting air so went over and shoved another few feet of hose down into the tank and for some reason looked under the car to notice the hose at my feet and the gas tank on the ground the weight of the water pulled the seal free... now I may actually keep the tank it is horrifically nasty inside though so maybe not but we’ll see!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I love it - let gravity do the work!

Good luck getting that Galaxie back on the road. Do your best to save that tank - the 1965 tanks are not available anywhere. I had mine dipped and then coated at a local radiator shop, and it's been working great.

- John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does it normally cost to have it boiled and coated mine has some pin holes and had about a coffee can worth of rust and crude in the bottom

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last time I had it done it was around $25-30 to clean it out. I think I paid $35-40 for the quart of tank sealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts