Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm young and dont have much experience, but the person I bought my 62' fairlane from said that there is fuses that blow when he tries to hook up certain things, the backup lights blow a fuse if both them and the brake lights are hooked up, the stereo blows a fuse. Also the left turn signal doesn't work. Another issue is the wiper motor doesn't work, but im not sure if its the wiring or the motor itself on that issue. I have little to no experience with wiring on cars, any tips? Could upgrading to an alternator benefit me? How can I accomplish that? Thank you for any help.

· Subscriber
1,035 Posts
you're about to get some experience. :)
no, upgrading to an alternator won't help this.

only one thing makes a fuse blow- too much current running through the circuit.

so the trick is finding out what is causing too much current to flow.
could be a wire with worn-off or cracked insulation, shorting directly to the car body/frame.
could be something wired incorrectly.
etc.

you'll want to get a good wiring diagram, inspect the condition of the wires/connections, and just chip away at it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're about to get some experience. :)
no, upgrading to an alternator won't help this.

only one thing makes a fuse blow- too much current running through the circuit.

so the trick is finding out what is causing too much current to flow.
could be a wire with worn-off or cracked insulation, shorting directly to the car body/frame.
could be something wired incorrectly.
etc.

you'll want to get a good wiring diagram, inspect the condition of the wires/connections, and just chip away at it.
Ok thank you for the advice, sounds like a lot of time 😅 do you think it would still be worth my time to upgrade to an alternator?

· Registered
210 Posts
cuthrell is correct.. fix your problem first..
get a friend to help you out, turn on one circuit at a time, then turn on a second circuit.
frayed wire is most likely your problem... The old cars only had about 6 or 8 fuses/cidcuits
But once you find your problem and fix it, I'd install a newe fuse box with the AOT
style fuse. an upgrade to an Alternator is a must if you plan on doing a lot of city
driving, you can get an Alternator in a case that looks like a generator $250 + -
I'm working on my 62 Ford wagon, Country Sedan...
Best
I'm also working on my 56 Packard, again not many circuits, but lots of wire.
I've re-wired the engine compartment, head lights, tail lights, antenna's.
installed a new fuse block.. BTW if you do change yours , get one for a car not a boat.
you will not find all the same wire colors today, especially if they have strips.
so make sheet with the change in wire color...
And last don't get made at the men that built these cars, the cars were never
designed to be on the road for 100 years.. or even 60..
If you have any question.. email me
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.