Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took FXJR for his driver's test yesterday. He messed up his "turn-about" portion of the test and failed. Boy was he pissed...

Anyway, turns out the test is essentially the same one I took nearly 30 years ago. I can't imagine a so-called driver's test that grades you harder on going backwards (parallel parking-when was the last time you did that??, and a turn-about: did you know that according to our state law anyway, you are not allowed to back into a city street. You have to "pull" onto the street. Hence, to be legal, you have to go past your driveway every day and then back into it in order to obey the law.
There's nothing in the test about merging into traffic, nothing about emergency vehicle control, nothing about accident avoidance (except if you have one while taking the test, you flunk). I'm not saying fxjr should have passed. I'm just saying the test is not a true measure of essential driving skills. What's your take on driver's tests where you live? Ours is a joke.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
FXJR & FXCOMET, That's kinda a raw deal you guys got if you ask me?

I think the driver instructors do place too much on little things,it should be a overall view of the whole test!

FXJR, I failed my first time through the test too!

The guys giving the test said he had to fail me because I did'nt use enough caution at a uncontrolled intersection?

Well,I ended up going back for the next try at it with my Dads 1966 Country Squire wagon,I passed no problems in the Ford!

I guess I felt so weird driving that Mopar that I could'nt concentrate on the test?

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie 428 4-speed 7-Litre
91 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/9/02 1:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
I failed my first time too. lol It was becuase I was driving my new truck, which had a lift kit on it. I could not see the cones when backing up, so I hit one. lol

Here in AZ, they make you parrallel park, then basically you drive around the block in a neiborhood behind the building. It was pretty easy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jr FX. Up here when I went(Jurassic Period) You would first write a test and then if you passed, they would issue you a 365..Learners permit which allows you 30 days to practice with a licensed driver. Test sounds the same, drive around on streets, do all your turns, parallel parking, backing up .....

Big changes up here about 4 years ago when the Gov't introduced the "Graduated License System" It is what it says, kids have to start at the basic g1 level wherein they must adhere to rigid restrictions which "must" be followed;

-must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least 4 yrs experience at all times

-cannot drive on any of the major highways

-cannot drive between the hours 12 am-5am

-any passengers must be limited to #seatbelts in the vehicle

-ZERO TOLERANCE RE ALCOHOL, IE; EVEN IF YOU WERE TO HAVE ONE SIP OF BEER AND THE COP SMELLED IT/ADMITTED IT....HUGE FINE AND YOUR PRIVILEDGES ARE SUSPENDED

-After 8 months and if you are successful passing a road/written test you get your G2 level which can last a further year.

You can drive on highways now but still 0 tolerance for booze.

Finally again if you are successful in a final driving test you get your full "G" license.

One last point, if you are charged/convicted of any of the above noted violations, most insurers will treat them as "Major/Serious" Violations and I don't think I have to elaborate as to what the consequences are as in rates go

Okay I just realized the last time I responded to one of your posts I had a bad case of verbal dia... so I'll shut up

PS Come to think about it, did everything work out okay re Jrs accident??

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I took Young Drivers of Canada course. It was the only way I could get my lisence at 16. Plus it was a right off for my folks if I passed. I got 5 points on my 45 minute road test, but I passed. I had a lady tester and went down a side street and had to stop and back up. As I was backing up, a chick came out in a bikini and kinda went on a lawn. If it was a guy tester, I would of aced it. After I got back the the MV place, I told my young driver instructor, and went and checked the chick out.
I honstly think all young drivers need a course or something, at least understand the basics, not just read a book and go. I go back to the 5 and 10 year class upgrade and do the road course they do, and I do real good. I learnt alot in the 6 week course and it was worth it, for me anyways. My kids are going to go to a driver course, I'm actually scared of some of the young drivers on the road, they cant handle there cars. If any one listens to the BC news at all, you hear about young kids street racing and hurting or killing people,6 last week alone. just inexperience and stupid moves. I want my kids to be able to handle a car and be able to control it if anything happens. Not just, here's the keys, go learn, and parents are the worst teachers.

Just my thoughts.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Polar68, everything turned out fine. They paid everything, no problem. Thanks for asking. This spring, me and ole fxjr are gonna go to the local autocross. I used to a go a lot when I had my Cobra. It's a great opportunity to really test your limits and the cars at the same time in a safe environment. I figure it'll give him the heads up on how it feels to spin a car, accident avoidance, etc. We have graduated licensing here, also. I think it's a great idea. Now if they'd just make those driving tests more relevant!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Most of the one I took was in a parking lot as well. Except for the tyrn around in which you have to drive about a mile up the road on a praticularly hairy part of US 1. Failed the first time, rush hour time and someone ran me off the road. Went back next day at 10 AM and had no problems. And those test are quite the joke, trained monkeys could pass those test.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I aced my drivers test 4 years ago. I had no problem. My parents signed me up for the Sears driving school. (even though it was not required) They figured if I can drive downtown Portland ok than I should be good anywhere.

Then the year after, my mother signed me up for the skid car class at the racetrack in Portland. It was a Toyota that had hydralics underneth it and would raise the car, so it felt like you were driving on ice. It was a lot of fun and I learned alot.

Then when I went to my safety class, so my ticket would not appear on my record. The stastics say that the more skilled drivers are involved in more accidents than unskilled drivers.

I would recommoned the skid car class.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think in Arizona if you are not a citizen you are issued a drivers license at the border. If you are a citizen you have to have a pulse in order to legally drive on the street.

When I lived in Wisconsin, it was mandatory that you take drivers education in high school in order to get your hs diploma and drive (unless you were out of hs and had a diploma but no drivers license), at least it was in the late 80's. I remember taking my test in Madison and having to parallel park, Y turn, drive on city streets and highways. The one part I failed was there was a hidden stop sign at an intersection behind a tree where you had to stop at the line and then stop again once you saw the stop sign only about 5 feet up. I stopped on the line and when the coast was clear I proceeded forward. I still passed the test even though I missed the secret stop.

Oh yeah, if you do not speak English in Arizona you are able to run stop signs and go as fast as you want.

I wonder if I can deprogram myself so I can get out of jail free.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 3/9/02 5:05am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 3/9/02 5:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-03-08 17:00, desertdroog wrote:

Oh yeah, if you do not speak English in Arizona you are able to run stop signs and go as fast as you want.
That's soooooooo true!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well that kinda sucks. I passed my class d test with flying colors, when i was 16 1/2. when i went to get my cladd b licence (heavy strait truck air brakes)i passed on the first try. Class A, different story. first time i went, i did the walkaround perfect, but left the key in the ignition, the guy faild me for that, second time i do the walkaround, the guy makes me check the slack adjusters in january when there was 3" of slush on the ground, one of the maxi cans on the trailer was broken, servicew brakes leaked down too fast truck was rejected. third time was real uneventfull, went, did all of the stuff, did the whole test, grazed one cone the instructor noticed, i replied, i like to bring them in close. got the guy talking and he ended up signing off for Tank, tank with hazmat, doubles/ triples. I had taken all of the written tests, but you are suposed to take a tank for the tanker test, and doubles for the doubles/triples endorsement. Guess i got luckey. hindsight being 20/20 i should have taken the writen tests for passenger transport.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They required drivers ed in Ohio as well... It was given as a class at school. No private company was involved, except for a dealer that might have donated the car(early 80's LTD).

We had to do a paper for the class, but I somehow talked the teacher out of it by telling him that I would clean the LTD. I don't think it had been cleaned for about 2 or 3 years... But it was better than writing a paper!

Took the test in an '84 Buick LeSabre. Passed with flying colors on the first try!

What Vehicle did you use for your tests???

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I used my great grandmothers '71 Demon(from south Texas) with 340 but was only a 4bbl. 32,000 mile garage kept beige Mopar that my dad got when she went in the nursing home and in 3 years was a totally rusted out pile of junk that ran/drove like new still but didn't make it to 50,000 miles before the quarters rusted off and went to the junk yard. I took the test the first summer we had it so it was perfect at that time. I passed on the first try but was very nervous with someone grading my every move. I really thought I was going to get that Demon until it rusted out from the northern Illinois salt. That was a real waste of a fine car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wednesday was my birthday and I had to go renew my licence. I've been driving 25 years now

I went in and paid my $40 and they took a mug shot and that's it. Sometimes though I think that drivers should be retested every few years. There are some mighty scary drivers out there....ones that have been driving a while too. I got my learner's permit on my 16th birthday and 2 weeks later to the day I got my driver's. Two weeks after that I got my motorbike licence.
I don't think it's a bad idea for young drivers to take a course. I never did but I think maybe it would be a good idea. At our stock car track we get lots of 16 year olds that want to race as soon as they get their licence and I'm all for that. You can learn a lot by driving bumper to bumper and door handle to door handle at speed. Corrective driving becomes 2nd nature and that's a good thing on the street. It's something that most people can't do as they never experience it until it's too late.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fx, my daughter got her license about a month ago, failed the first time. It was quite the raw deal. The lady giving the test had an attitude right from the start. First thing she did when she got in the car with my daughter was to start explaining what happens if she fails! My daughter was doing real well until an ambulance came the other way down the street, lights and sirens going. As she was pulling over she noticed that the three cars behind her weren't even slowing down so she hurried in pulling to the side of the road so as not to get rearended. The bi*ch giving the test said she didn't pull over far enough and failed her, even though my daughter was the ONLY one to pull over!

My daughter went back 1-1/2 weeks later and passed with flying colors. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
In Kansas you can get a license at 14, or at least that's how old I was. I took driver's ed the summer before my birthday. Then when I turned 14 I went and took the written test at the cop-shop. I didn't even have to drive for anybody. Handed the test in, checked my eyesight, gave them a copy of my birth certificate, and 10 minutes later I was a licensed driver. Insurance rates were cheaper for my folks too since I had passed driver's ed.
Did FXJr. take driver's ed? Each student probably logged 3-4 hours each of driving time. I remember thinking 65 was fast back then!

·
Registered
689 Posts
When I took my test in Manitoba back when the Guess Who were still hot, 50% of the test was parallel parking. My friends and I were all indignant because in Selkirk where we lived, there was only diagonal parking downtown (and one solitary traffic light!).

("Parallel parking worth 50% of the test?!? When the hell are we ever going to need that? Maybe if we ever went into Winnipeg or something...." )

I also recall a car rally during high school. Part of the route was to go through Winnipeg, and one girl (a fully licenced driver, I might add!) asked, "But what if you can't drive in the city?"

My son is almost 18 and has yet to even write for his learner's licence...makes me wonder whose kid he really is!

"You can't make a racehorse out of a pig.... but you can make a very fast pig!"

John Steinbeck, "East of Eden"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldoon on 3/10/02 12:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
I might be in the minority here... but judging by some of of the people behind the wheel, driver's licenses aren't that hard to come by.

Yes, I believe a person SHOULD know how to drive backwards, forwards, judge where each corner of their car is, AND parallel park. If a person has a good feel for their vehicle, they will be able to do all of the above. If they do not, they need more practice before being let loose on our public streets.

Get the kid some more practice. He'll get it in good time. Don't critize the kid.... or the test.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts