Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. He took the test in our Mark VIII and was so nervous he forgot, thought he was driving a clutch and left foot braked
The instructor just laughed.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Dad can I borrow the Comet Friday Night?!
Now the fun begins!

Congrats Jr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polar68 on 3/15/02 6:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If you have any advice for a dad getting ready to go thru the same thing, maybe you can share it, mine is 14 going on 21 and wants anything with a gas pedal. He is driveing me crazy

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fxjr had to sign a driving contract complete with clearly defined rules and consequences for about every situtation we could come up with. His finanacial responsibilites for insurance and gas are included, too. I'd be glad to e-mail you an example or include it here if anyone's interested. Believe me, it's scarey thinking of him out there driving on his own, but you gotta let 'em go some time. You just have to hope you've instilled enough maturity in them so they make it through w/o getting killed or hurting somebody else in a wreck.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I got 2 pieces of advice. #1 if your child is going to get his drivers permit, learn to keep the keys to your car in your pocket. It makes it harder for them to "borrow" your car.

#2 Install a cage in your child's car first and then tell them that you are going to "build it up from there."

A little bit of safty for both of you.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When your kid has a permit, let them drive you around ALL of the time. Better for them to screw up with you in the car, than by themselves.

And dont yell at them. Offer positve criticism (who knows how to spell that?).

I had a huge edge in drivers edge, because I had tons of seat time. Some kids had bairly drivin before.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/15/02 3:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fx, Get Jr a cell phone if he doesn't already have one. My daughter calls to check in whenever she leaves where ever she was and checks in when she arrives (did that make sense?). We've limited her to one friend in the car unless she has prior approval from us. She is also not allowed to use the cell phone while driving, though we have had her friends call us from the passenger seat.

The contract you have with Jr sounds like a good idea, we have a verbal one with my daughter. She knows what is expected and what the penalties are (and this includes grades in school).

Good luck and don't worry too much about all those gray hairs, they have stuff to hide them.

Greg

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, he has a cell phone. We also make him call from the phone where he is supposed to be. We have caller ID and can verify he's there! As far as the gray hairs...
(sigh)... Hey, you got that Cobra painted yet??

·
Registered
196 Posts
SEATBELTS!!! I'm sure HE'S smart enough. But at least one of his friends is gonna be too cool to where his. I got my license at 17 and I never wore mine, my friends didn't either. One fateful night in '93, about 3 months after getting my license I was driving through a unfamiliar rural area with 3 friends in the car. None of us were wearing our seatbelts. Well, as I cruised through an intersection going about 35mph, I noticed headlights to my left coming at me fast. Thats when I caught that stop sign in the corner of my right eye. "Oh F---." Anyway the blazer hit right at my door going 65mph. On impact, the rear drivers side door flew open, and at some point while my car slid and the Blazer rolled through the intersection, my best friend was ejected from the car. I broke my scapula and my head was cut, but I was fine. My friend, on the other hand, was flown to U. of Penn, most of his ribs were broke and he had one lung removed. He was also cut up pretty bad. He probably would have been fine if he was wearing his seatbelt. Everyone else was a little bruised but nothing too serious. It was a mess, worst day of my entire life. I thought I had killed my freind. Thank god he made it. It was in all the papers and on the news that night. I got sued by everyone. Needless to say, he's still my best freind to this day and we ALWAYS wear our seatbelts.
Maybe let FXJR read my story and it will permenatly etch -SEATBELTS- into his brain.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice. He'd already been in two wrecks (with other people driving) this year. He's always worn his seatbelt and thank goodness he was this time. He would have been hurt for sure when he got t-boned the last time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts