Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Today, I just picked up a proto-type set of G2C (Granada-to-Cobra) brackets I designed and had a local machine shop make, that will adapt the 13" rotors and twin-piston PBR calipers from the '94-'04 Cobra Mustangs onto the '75-'80 Granada spindles.

I just wanted to ask if there's any interest in a conversion like this by any of you here? I still have some work left to do on this conversion, but I would hate to sink a lot of money into production of the adapter brackets if there's no interest.

TIA

--Steve

[email protected]

This setup shows a 13" cobra rotor and '01 Bullitt Mustang caliper mounted on a '70 Mustang disc brake hub, on a '75 model Granada spindle on my '68 Mustang:

1. http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1804/g2cbracket001vf4.jpg

2. http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8229/g2cbracket002uo3.jpg

3. http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/693/g2cbracket003xa8.jpg




Link: http://www.ultrastang.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
If the price is reasonable I would defintely buy the conversion.

By the way folks, I have Steve's rear disc MK VII LSC conversion on my car. Top notch quality and engineering. Good stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
OK, so I have the spindles and am sure I can purchase the rotors & calipers, but where do I source '70 Mustang disc brake hubs? Seems requiring parts that are 36 years-old might limit your sales success.

Can you fit a later model hub to the Granada pin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ChicoB for your comments. The SN-95 rear conversion brackets, I fairly recently came out with, to adapt the V6/GT or Cobra rear disc brakes are even nicer than the Mk VII setup I started delling nearly 5 years ago.

1. http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=17

2. http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=18

http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=20

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The '70 Mustang disc brake hubs I'm using in this application are brand new. The only bad part was I had to buy two brand new Wagner disc brake rotors in order to remove the hubs from them. I can find new drum brake hubs for '65 model Mustangs, but haven't located any one (yet) that just sells the '70 hubs anlone. However, I didn't pay too much more for the '70 front disc brake rotor assemblies over what just the '65 drum brake hubs alone cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-17 13:10, 8BBL427 wrote:
OK, so I have the spindles and am sure I can purchase the rotors & calipers, but where do I source '70 Mustang disc brake hubs? Seems requiring parts that are 36 years-old might limit your sales success.

Can you fit a later model hub to the Granada pin?
I would check to see if the drum hub is the same. You already have that hub if you are doing a drum to disk swap. Just press off the drum and replace the wheel studs if need be.
(Note 70 and up cars have larger bearings so you have to stay relatively year specific for spindle/hub combo)

I have a prototype bracket that uses Crown Vic rotor and SN95 calipers on my '67 Mustang because I want to stay with relatively stock size wheels ( 15&quot
for a more vintage look. Mine uses the stock drum spindle and drum hub but is a bit more complex than Steve's due to the mount using the backing plate location.

Steve's is a great looking set up I don't mind saying, there are other kits that swap the entire cobra set up on but you need modern offset wheels that personally I don't like and the kits are $$$$$ IMO

Stu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-08-18 05:25, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
On 2006-08-17 13:10, 8BBL427 wrote:
OK, so I have the spindles and am sure I can purchase the rotors & calipers, but where do I source '70 Mustang disc brake hubs? Seems requiring parts that are 36 years-old might limit your sales success.

Can you fit a later model hub to the Granada pin?
I would check to see if the drum hub is the same. You already have that hub if you are doing a drum to disk swap. Just press off the drum and replace the wheel studs if need be.
(Note 70 and up cars have larger bearings so you have to stay relatively year specific for spindle/hub combo)

I have a prototype bracket that uses Crown Vic rotor and SN95 calipers on my '67 Mustang because I want to stay with relatively stock size wheels ( 15"
for a more vintage look. Mine uses the stock drum spindle and drum hub but is a bit more complex than Steve's due to the mount using the backing plate location.

Steve's is a great looking set up I don't mind saying, there are other kits that swap the entire cobra set up on but you need modern offset wheels that personally I don't like and the kits are $$$$$ IMO

Stu
I'm unsure if there is any offset difference between a disc brake hub vs. a drum brake hub (??).

You can actually install '65-'69 hubs on '70-'73 Mustang spindles (or '75-'80 Granada spindles) by simply swapping to the larger '70-up bearings/races.

--(IF) there's no difference in offest of a disc hub vs. a drum hub, then it would be no problem in what hub you could use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-26 04:00, ultrastang wrote:
I'm unsure if there is any offset difference between a disc brake hub vs. a drum brake hub (??).

You can actually install '65-'69 hubs on '70-'73 Mustang spindles (or '75-'80 Granada spindles) by simply swapping to the larger '70-up bearings/races.

--(IF) there's no difference in offest of a disc hub vs. a drum hub, then it would be no problem in what hub you could use.
I have my drum hubs on my 67, but I have a set of '71 disks complete in my shop. I'll take a look and measure the back space on the two hubs and see if they are the same and post here when I do.

As for the bearing swap you're correct, you can swap your hubs to newer ones on your old spindles you just can't use old hubs on newer spindles. I just didn't articulate it well in my last post, thanks for the additional info!

The newer spindles are generally regarded as better as they are more beefy. In fact there are a few guys I've seen who use '70 up drum spindles as a base for disc swaps. Stu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
http://www.vintagevenom.com/fdk.htm

I like that I can use my original spindles. Your idea would be fine if I already had Granada spindles. Or if you are considerably cheaper so I can justify swapping out spindles. This other kit is expensive in my opinion and I have to really think about whether the benefits are worth the cost. But you have a good product idea with very little competition. Run with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
http://www.vintagevenom.com/fdk.htm

I like that I can use my original spindles. Your idea would be fine if I already had Granada spindles. Or if you are considerably cheaper so I can justify swapping out spindles. This other kit is expensive in my opinion and I have to really think about whether the benefits are worth the cost. But you have a good product idea with very little competition. Run with it.

Anyone use this Vintage Venom - Home of vintage Mustang brake conversions — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits kit?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top