Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to electrical problems, I am usually lost, so here is my question.
I have a 1976 Montego MX with a full guage package. The alternator wiring is a mess and I want to eliminate it and install a G3 alternator. Will my factory amp guage still work?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I do not know about the gauge but try this site for info:

http://tinyurl.com/l2vsb

I have one on my '73 Montego with a 351C. With the old alt. with a/c and high beams on was 12.8v, new one under the same conditions it is 14.35v. I got mine from a '95 Mustang Cobra and it bolts right up(lifetime at Auto Zone). The wiring is pretty straight forward; two wires and a battery cable.

Chris

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine has the light so I didn't have to worry about that aspect of the swap. It's a good swap though. Mine works perfectly. It says use a 175A mega fuse, I didn't, I did what Ford does and used 2 8-10" pieces of 12 gauge fusable link wire, put them side-by-side, and soldered them into a battery cable eyelet. The only modifications you would have to make to the new alternator is swapping pulleys (I'd recommend the 2 pulley like it says in the above website, mine doesn't squeal a bit even with an electric fan and EFI) and putting a heli-coil thread insert in the bottom ear. Good Luck, Chris

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The diagram I have shows when you have a gauge rather than an Alt light you add a resister inline to act as a load to excite the alternator to start charging. Don't have it in front of me but I believe it is a around 470 ohm. Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The diagram I have shows a 560 ohm resistor added inline to the "I" wire ( red green) if you have a gauge. Stu

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was wondering about what happens to the ammeter when you swap up to a setup suck as the G3 unit, considering the 72-73 sport cluster only hit 65 amps max.
Maybe this is stupid of me to ask, but why did Ford go away from having the amp guage in the clusters to just a voltmeter?
Just curious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts