Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted my generator equipped '63 Ranchero ( V8/4spd ) to a 130 amp G3 alternator. All seems to be good as I've driven this car all over the place including two trips to Bonneville and back. The problems, if you want to call them that, are...1) the headlights flicker at any speed. 2) No GEN light at all with the key in any position. I'd really like to solve the headlight issue. The GEN light issue would be a bonus. Any direction is appreciated.:bow:
Thanx, Mike

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I would check the dimmer switch, grounds and perhaps the light switch to begin with.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
1) Many models have a thermal breaker in the headlight switch. This critter can wiggle or repetitively break contact (flicker) if weak, if you have a short, or if you have upgraded your headlights to higher-power ones. I would either:

• pull the switch and jump the contacts manually to look for flickering. Gone? Replace the switch.
  • test operating voltage from the headlights-back, looking for where the fluctuating voltage begins. The answer will then be obvious or nearby.
2) How did you wire your GEN light into the alternator? Do you get power through it and to the alternator when the key is ON?

David

EDIT: IIRC you changed your headlights to H4s. That's probably it. If so, the best solution is to use headlight relays as in my post here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts