Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 64 galaxie 500 just replaced all front end bushings tie rods and control arms, has laser alignment i performed at my shop, car drives straight as an arrow but has bad whine from ps pump and vibrations when turning wheel system has been bled manually and with engine running what could be the cause of it . looking for any insight from some old school brains. also has f grade fluid in new pump, any insight would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I don't have vibration but i do have whine since replacing mine over a year ago. Not like it was but it's there. I've heard many say it's difficult to get all the air out of the system and to jack front up and turn lock to lock several times. I never tried doing that myself though. Mine did improve after a few times driving but is
still there somewhat. Not sure on your vibration though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re. fluid, I found this in my notes:

Power Steering fluid: Originally type A suffix A ATF fluid, which has been replaced by Dexron III (not Ford type F). I believe the latest Dexron (VI) is thinner so use III if available.

I wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel.

Pat

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Just thought of something else. Does the steering wheel seem to jerk back and forth kinda? I don't know if it will do this only slightly but do know that it will do it quite a bit if you have the 2 small short hoses on backwards. I was told when first starting car after rebuilding steering components not to put my arm through the wheel to start it because if hoses are reversed the wheel will suddenly turn one way or the other and be a bit painful! Maybe verify the hoses are also correct on the control valve.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The pump on my 64 started leaking so I took it apart and put new seals in it. Vanes, rotor, and end plate all looked good. Worked for about a year and started making that awful whine. I have rebuilt lots of these pumps and if the housing get worn there isn't much you can do. I purchased a new pump and lucas power steering fluid, so far steering is super smooth, working great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re. fluid, I found this in my notes:

Power Steering fluid: Originally type A suffix A ATF fluid, which has been replaced by Dexron III (not Ford type F). I believe the latest Dexron (VI) is thinner so use III if available.

I wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel.

Pat
Not sure where your "notes" came from, but having worked in a Ford Dealership from the late '60s to mid '70s, I know we ONLY used Type F fluid in Ford/Mercury transmissions and Power Steering units.. The change to Dexron xx fluids came in the late '70s.. All fluid make ups and their recommendations have changed over the years, but IMO I'd stick with the Factory Recommended Fluids for the time frame vehicle you are working on..

·
Registered
1964 Ford Custom 500 2dr sedan
44 Posts
I've heard many say it's difficult to get all the air out of the system and to jack front up and turn lock to lock several times.
That can work but there's a much more effective and easier way to purge the air. Get a 15 dollar hand vacuum pump from harbor freight and attach it to the power steering reservoir. Pull it under 20 inches of vacuum and hold it there for a few minutes. Ive had this turn power steering that squeal like a dying rabbit to dead silent.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure where your "notes" came from, but having worked in a Ford Dealership from the late '60s to mid '70s, I know we ONLY used Type F fluid in Ford/Mercury transmissions and Power Steering units.. The change to Dexron xx fluids came in the late '70s.. All fluid make ups and their recommendations have changed over the years, but IMO I'd stick with the Factory Recommended Fluids for the time frame vehicle you are working on..
I just wrote down some notes so that I didn't need to re-research this whenever I needed to pick up a bottle of power steering fluid while on the road. The shop manual and owner's manual each say to use P/N R106-A fluid, meeting spec. M2C33-C or -D, and as an alternate type A suffix A. So it's hard to find type A suffix A fluid anymore, but I thought I read Dexron III was the equivalent replacement. For some reason I thought type-F was not interchangeable with type A suffix A but apparently that's not the case.

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pat,
Your part numbers are correct, also add C1AZ-19582-A to the Rotunda Automatic Transmission fluid mix, per 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Owners Manual, 1966 Ford Factory Shop Manual and the 1969 Ford Factory Shop Manual, but they all cross reference to TYPE F fluid, not Type A Fluid. Prior years would be the same.

You are also correct: Type A fluid, now Dexron xx fluid is not compatible with Type F fluid. Type F fluid is the specified Transmission Fluid, Power Steering Fluid and Convertible Top Fluid for the early (pre 197x Ford vehicles).. If you are using aftermarket parts/components/setups, those specifications may be different..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts