Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon, Y'all,

I finally got my carburetor off the '67 Galaxie, to figure out why it won't budge.
Turns out the Throttle spindle was wedged in there pretty tightly due to filth, and in the process of removal is now damaged.
I'm trying to find a proper replacement for it, any recommendations?

V/R

Clutch

·
Subscriber
848 Posts
lots of options - Holley, Edelbrock, Summit.
i haven't used one yet, but the Summit carb is a knock-off of the Autolite, using Holley-sized jets. pretty good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I was looking at that Summit 600 a couple of reviewers did not like it.

Reactions: ClutchMagpie

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 750 summit branded holley/autolite, i like it a LOT. worked a lot better than the 4160 i messed with for months. i might downsize it to the same series in a 600 as it sa mild 390. But the build quality is very, very good.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
m in sc, what engine and intake and transmission are you putting it on?

·
Registered
115 Posts
390 w edelbrock rpm perf heads and intake, mx auto.

Interesting thing:

so i put it on last night, and it runs great. wasn't as big a gain down low as i had thought, but was def better than the 750 and the wideband sensor gave good readings. lost a tiny bit over 3k in power but not huge.

heres where it gets interesting: when i was swapping the 750 for the 600, i measured butterflies & the bores. they are the same between the 2, verified and yup, one was for sure a 750 the other a 600. I -think- they just used different air horns between them to change the cfm rating. that being said, i think i can swap the rears out of the 750 into the 600 body and get the 'best' of both @ 675 ish cfm

I had to just adjust the mixture screws by about 1/2 and set the floats but otherwise was turn key. (the 600). I also lubed all the linkage since it was new and a slight choke adjustment. had it swapped in less than an hour and driving. Then got a flat on the way back home so i'll resume monday or tuesday after the new tire gets in.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Great report. So it really was a plug n play, downshift rod too. Are you happy with the elec choke & the fast idle? Can you use the snorkel air cleaner?
Sorry about the flat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
tbh, the car was originally a 2bbl car, was swapped over yrs ago, so the kickdown was modified to fit at 1st, a carter afb. but after that it had fit a 4160, then the 750 then the 600. so if its a stock 4bbl car, should be just fine.

would it fit a stock airfilter housing? yes. i don't run one , i have a milodon air filter with an offset base because of the hei distributor. but as far as tuning, it seems pretty spot on.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Been a good day for carburetors! You got a new one and I fixed mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As a follow up on this (not trying to hijack), I finally got around to jetting the 600 summit carb. I landed at 1.25 turns out on the idle screws, 65 primary jets, and 70 in the secondaries. Per the wideband , this yields 12.2-12.5 WOT, and 13.5-13.8 (with an occasional dip into the 14.0 range) at steady throttle. warm idle in gear, ac on its at 13.8-14.2 afr. this is witht he 6.5 power valve. with the 'stock' jetting, which is 68 primary & 73 secondary, was 10.5-11 wot and 12.5-13 steady throttle.

as a side note, the arm on the accelerator pump was a bit too tight on the pivot, had to open it up a smidge with a file. wasnt returning sometimes and would cause a lean condition at part throttle acceleration because it still had the plunger depressed a bit. I cant say it performs any worse than the 750 did wot, and down low is def more responsive. I also have an adjustable QF secondary dash-pot on it, (which i also had on the 750 and 4160) and an at 1.75 turns out on the screw with a purple spring. Hope this helps somebody down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me complete my part of this thread with the solution I came across.

The Holley Demon Carb turned out to be the wrong barrel configuration, and would require significant modification to install. This is entirely on me, I didn't do enough homework.
I decided to do a full refurb on the OEM part, and have sent the part to UREMCO (United REManufacturing COmpany).

1I'll let y'all know when I get the refurbished part back.

-Clutch

·
Registered
115 Posts
those have that oval '3rd' barrel,correct? I had a fox body w one of those, po had put on an open spacer and it -just- cleared.

good luck with the rebuilt carb. should make it right as rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts