Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed on just about every galaxie and custom mine include the back of the hood by the windshield always is popped up about 3/8 of a inch and you half to push it down after you close the hood, what is the defect on this I know its age and wear but what is worn out is there a fix or do I need a new set of hinges or just springs or both?

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's one of three things, adjustment, lubrication or wear. Usually the latter two.

Back in the day, the assembly plants used a phosphate and oil process on these hinges that would collect dirt and dust over time. Typically they're never maintained, so eventually either they don't work as well or they begin metal on metal wear at the rivet joints.

If lube doesn't work, sometimes the rivets can be replaced. But if the holes are out of round, then not much can be done except metal work or replacements.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Back in the day we used to shim up the hood like that to help vent the hot air from the engine compartment. Don't know if it helped but we all thought it looked cool.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stiff hinges and/or loose attaching bolts.

All bolts present and tight?
esp the one that attaches to the top of the inner fenderwell.

When I got my 66 Galaxie the passenger side hinge was missing the bolt/stud and bracket on the top of the fenderwell that holds the front end of the hinge.
That side would always be raised at the back edge until I got the bracket and bolted the hinge down properly.

Lube the hinge helps a lot too.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Mine did the same thing and no matter how much adjusting I did you still had to push the back corners down. A set of nos hinges took care of the issue at a much cheaper price than what some restoration shops are asking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's the procedure that fixed the issue on my 68:

Adjustment Procedure
  1. Open the hood and loosen the three bolts on each hinge. (Note: Once loose, the weight of the hood will pull the back of the hinge to its highest position and the front to the lowest.)
  2. Lift the hood so that the rear slides to the lowest position and the front hinge slides to the highest. (Note: I found just slightly below the highest position in the front worked best for me, YMMV)
  3. Have a friend hold the hood or prop it up while you tighten the hinge bolts.
  4. Remove the prop and slowly lower the hood while checking for any spots where it may bind. You may find you need to shift the hood forward or backward on the hinge for it to close properly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will do that plus preventative maintenance lube and stuff this weekend and give a update ti was ruling out wear the chassis has 64k on it original miles

·
Registered
33 Posts
My galaxie has 78k and the hinges were worn out at the ribbits and stuck up like yours. If yours are worn out message me I have a set of New Old Stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts