·
Registered
504 Posts
A great article danv!

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I inquired about the booster, you get a 7" diameter one standard in that kit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The kit will probably be bought by me also, the question is when

·
Registered
924 Posts
when I bought the kit off eBay and I believe I saw them selling larger boosters and I inquired about getting the larger booster expecting to pay more but they just upgraded it for me at the same price. This was over 2 years ago.
I don't know if the smaller booster would be sufficient I just felt with the size of the Galaxie bigger would be better.
Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
How big(inches) booster did you get?

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well after 6 months of trying to get the brakes to work, I have discovered a major flaw in this kit. It appears that the calipers might be Chinese sourced, and they are flexing under pressure, so therefore not giving good braking.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS BEFORE BUYING THIS DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well after 6 months of trying to get the brakes to work, I have discovered a major flaw in this kit. It appears that the calipers might be Chinese sourced, and they are flexing under pressure, so therefore not giving good braking.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS BEFORE BUYING THIS DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT.
Have you talked with the vendor and showed them the video?

·
Registered
504 Posts
My conversion kit is still in the shipping boxes, ready to be mounted. Interesting if your kit works, or you may get new calipers

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
My conversion kit is still in the shipping boxes, ready to be mounted. Interesting if your kit works, or you may get new calipers
Dan is switching to a newer ford spindle with bracket and ford calipers.
I will change mine to cardone rebuilt oem Chevy k10 calipers this weekend if I have time...
I'll let you know how it works out...:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Tomsclassic sent me this info about the kit some months ago

It uses 78 k10 calipers/pads and 71 ltd rotors

So cardone rebuilt oem Chevy k10 calipers should work I assume,

But its never 100% sure before it has been tested, so its great to get it confirmed Lars

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was told that mine were one of the last sets before they ran out of stock.

Maybe the calipers you guys got were a new batch from another supplier, or at least a better batch from the same supplier. I would be checking yours first before laying out more cash for calipers.
Lars, I would be interested if you did the same test as I did, and see if there is flex..

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I was told that mine were one of the last sets before they ran out of stock..
Maybe the calipers you guys got were a new batch from another supplier,...
i bet its the same junk...
my pedal should be firmer..and higher...
and the only explanation left, is caliper flex...

Lars, I would be interested if you did the same test as I did, and see if there is flex..
i did not...but i decided to pick up a set of cardone k10's...along with that i also grabbed a set of organic pads....

i think i already know what the outcome will be...keeping my fingers crossed....:D

also got the replacement for the rear bad e-brake caliper...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Just to add to this... my boosted set-up has always had a great pedal - just not enough stopping power for my liking (front brakes won't lock, no matter how hard you push).

I've just ordered a replacement master cylinder for my kit (which other than the power booster, is identical to Dan's), but one with a larger bore piston... the factory master cylinder on Chev K10s with these exact calipers ran a 1 1/8" bore master, rather than 1". Hell, everything else has been tried, but to my knowledge, not a bigger MC. So I'll report back when I've got it and tested it (should be a couple of weeks to allow for postage from the US).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just to add to this... my boosted set-up has always had a great pedal - just not enough stopping power for my liking (front brakes won't lock, no matter how hard you push).

I've just ordered a replacement master cylinder for my kit (which other than the power booster, is identical to Dan's), but one with a larger bore piston... the factory master cylinder on Chev K10s with these exact calipers ran a 1 1/8" bore master, rather than 1". Hell, everything else has been tried, but to my knowledge, not a bigger MC. So I'll report back when I've got it and tested it (should be a couple of weeks to allow for postage from the US).
Going to an mc with a larger bore will 'reduce' the brake pressure not increase it. Switching to a smaller bore 'will' increase braking pressure but the stroke distance may increase. Try dropping from a 1" down to a 15/16" bore.
R

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
It's all a matter of forces and leverage. Consider that the C/K booster is a different unit that applies greater forces. You are trying to actuate with a car booster. The statement is true that going to a larger bore MC will actually reduce your line pressure with the same pedal force, and why a smaller MC is suggested. However, consider that a manual system with no booster should lock them up, let alone any booster of any size - if your leverage (brake pedal ratio) and caliper areas are reasonable.

When you are doing custom brakes, you have to know (or at least have an idea) how each part will affect the total package, from your brake pedal ratio (leverage force) to your MC bore area, to the wheel cylinder/caliper area, to your pad/shoe area. If you take an example working system and calculate all of those, and compare how changing each one greater or smaller would affect the function of the whole system, you are well on your way to designing a good system the first time.

This planning does not include other factors that are a PITA, from defective calipers to non-functional boosters, to bad component alignments, to combined component flex, etc. You can guess and try, or learn from thousands of others that have experimented before and make a solid plan. Take your pick. It's all basic math involving forces. If you don't like math, then get good at exercising patience. Either way works ... eventually.
:tup:
David

21 - 38 of 38 Posts