Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So today I began the install of my hotchkis coil springs on my 66 Galaxie. I got one installed, driver side front. I know my old springs were compressed from age but my ridge height went up a lot. I went from 27" (ground to top of fender well) to 28 1/2". It looks like I can go off road now! It appears to be seated well, not sure whats going on. Hotchkis said their coil springs should drop the car about 2". I emailed them to but I thought I would see if anyone had the same issue. Thanks!

20210213_162801.jpg 20210213_184832.jpg 20210213_184846.jpg

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey everyone. So today I began the install of my hotchkis coil springs on my 66 Galaxie. I got one installed, driver side front. I know my old springs were compressed from age but my ridge height went up a lot. I went from 27" (ground to top of fender well) to 28 1/2". It looks like I can go off road now! It appears to be seated well, not sure whats going on. Hotchkis said their coil springs should drop the car about 2". I emailed them to but I thought I would see if anyone had the same issue. Thanks!

View attachment 168078 View attachment 168079 View attachment 168080
Drive it if you can. Let the new parts settle in. Jacking it up, replacing parts, it just needs to settle. Maybe!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

View attachment 168078 View attachment 168079 View attachment 168080
Hello NC500,

A note on coil springs. Hotchkis sells only one front coil spring for the 3rd gen. If you look in the Ford Master Parts catalogue, there are dozens of different front springs offered alone for the '66 full size. Ford carefully designed and selected springs for the body type (2dr, 4dr, hardtop, post, etc), then engine type, transmission type, manual or power steering and air conditioning. Then they even have heavy duty springs listed as well. The weight difference on a '66 full size vastly varies for the above possibilities. There is no way Hotchkis can realistically say it will work in your car at this ride height.

Since these galaxie components were designed for Jay Leno's '66 gal 500 7 litre, it's going to match his weight with all his options, not anyone else's unless it just happens to match. Another thing too, if you want to lower your car without properly designed drop spindles you may want to check your bump steer, caster and camber arc. This is because the caster, camber and bump steel are at optimal levels at designed ride height. Usually the further up or down from nominal ride height the caster, camber and bump steer can start drastically changing and result in a poor driveability.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello NC500,

A note on coil springs. Hotchkis sells only one front coil spring for the 3rd gen. If you look in the Ford Master Parts catalogue, there are dozens of different front springs offered alone for the '66 full size. Ford carefully designed and selected springs for the body type (2dr, 4dr, hardtop, post, etc), then engine type, transmission type, manual or power steering and air conditioning. Then they even have heavy duty springs listed as well. The weight difference on a '66 full size vastly varies for the above possibilities. There is no way Hotchkis can realistically say it will work in your car at this ride height.

Since these galaxie components were designed for Jay Leno's '66 gal 500 7 litre, it's going to match his weight with all his options, not anyone else's unless it just happens to match. Another thing too, if you want to lower your car without properly designed drop spindles you may want to check your bump steer, caster and camber arc. This is because the caster, camber and bump steel are at optimal levels at designed ride height. Usually the further up or down from nominal ride height the caster, camber and bump steer can start drastically changing and result in a poor driveability.

Cheers
OH wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the inside. I do like the spring quality. And recommendations for something simar that would actually lower my car?

I did also check out drop spindles from Fatman, pricey though. I guess an option is keeping the Hotchkis spring I have and get some of those. That would only work for the front though.

·
Registered
966 Posts
On front coil springs with an open coil on one end, you can cut the springs to lower the ride height.
This requires some trial and error.
Cut 1/2 coil at a time and reinstall.
Check ride height.
Repeat until you get the height you want.
Cutting coils has the effect of making the spring “stiffer”.
This may or may not be desired.
If you decide to try this do not cut the coil with a torch!
You must take care to not overheat the springs whilst cutting.
A cutoff tool and going slowly and cooling the spring with a damp rag helps to not overheat the spring.
The rear springs cannot be cut in this manner because of the tight coil on each end.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Another option is to contact Eaton Detroit Spring to order your springs. Their website allows you to enter your vehicle's information such as model, engine, options, etc. and order stock, raised or lowered springs. If you have any questions you can call them with specific information about your car as I did, and they will set you up with the correct springs.

Eaton Detroit Spring

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another option is to contact Eaton Detroit Spring to order your springs. Their website allows you to enter your vehicle's information such as model, engine, options, etc. and order stock, raised or lowered springs. If you have any questions you can call them with specific information about your car as I did, and they will set you up with the correct springs.

Eaton Detroit Spring
Awesome! I just checked them out. The have a 3" lowering option. Does anyone know what the stock ride height it? I cant seem to find it anywhere. I dont know if 3" is to low or not.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I thought the lowest they offered was -2" but could be wrong. This is how my car sits with Eaton Detroit one inch lowered springs. From the ground to the front fender lip it measures 25" and the rear measures 24" and that's running 26" diameter tires. I kind of wish I went a little lower in the front.

I know it's a '67 vs. '66 so I'm not sure how much effect -1" would have on yours and this might be like comparing apples and oranges.

fullsizeoutput_87a.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the lowest they offered was -2" but could be wrong. This is how my car sits with Eaton Detroit one inch lowered springs. From the ground to the front fender lip it measures 25" and the rear measures 24" and that's running 26" diameter tires. I kind of wish I went a little lower in the front.

I know it's a '67 vs. '66 so I'm not sure how much effect -1" would have on yours and this might be like comparing apples and oranges.

View attachment 168083
Nice ride! I like the way it sits. I think Ill go 2" as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

View attachment 168083
I just called eaton and you are right. 2" lowering springs is what they offer. They offer 3" for leaf springs, I guess I saw that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you were able to speak with someone at Eaton Detroit. Where they able to help you in getting the correct springs and the ride height you were hoping to get for your car? If so, what did you go with?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you were able to speak with someone at Eaton Detroit. Where they able to help you in getting the correct springs and the ride height you were hoping to get for your car? If so, what did you go with?
They were very helpful. I'm going with the 2" all around. If it sits like your ill be happy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, as I said I used 1" lowered springs. Wish I went with 1-1/2" drop on the front instead just to bring it down a bit more. Post some pics when you have the new springs installed I'd like to see the 2" drop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as I said I used 1" lowered springs. Wish I went with 1-1/2" drop on the front instead just to bring it down a bit more. Post some pics when you have the new springs installed I'd like to see the 2" drop.
Yep, I re-read it on your heights. And I'll definitely post pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesn't look like you have the engine, and transmission installed in the car yet, judging from the pictures. That could make a big difference. I wouldn't cut on the springs until you have all the weight on the front, and can see how it looks then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn't look like you have the engine, and transmission installed in the car yet, judging from the pictures. That could make a big difference. I wouldn't cut on the springs until you have all the weight on the front, and can see how it looks then.
It does look weird from that angle but believe it or not they are in there.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Been a couple guys here got springs f Eaton's and the car sat up 3" higher, looked like a Rock Climber. Bouncy bouncy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
NAPA lists springs for the Galaxie. They also publish the details such as wire DIA, spring height, loaded height, spring rate, spring ID, etc. I looked at many options and created a spreadsheet to capture different options and calculate what I needed for springs and how much to cut.

My application is different because I have an aluminum engine, but for what it’s worth I ended up with NAPA 277-1941 up front. I cut one coil and it came out close to what I wanted. There was some settling and I like where it is now, although I will probably cut a little more. Keep in mind that the spring rate will go up when you cut a spring.

I selected rear springs using a similar method. They are spec’d for a GM car but they have the same ends and ID as the Gal. I haven’t found the part number or application details but I will post it if I do. As noted in an earlier post, these can’t be cut like the fronts. I think the ‘66 rear spring perches are different from the ‘65.
Here’s how my car sits now.

- John

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
167 Posts
I Suwanee, when i first got on this site and started checking out galaxie pics, trying to decide a color for my car, i didnt see not one aqua or dark teal car.
Now that I painted it, I have seen about 3 on here alone. Nice ride gearhead, nice color too😀

Im watching this thread NC500 for before and after pics if you get different springs post up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts