Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a 87 Towncar 302 with an AOD I will be putting a carb on it not going EFI I am wondering how hard it would be to put in my 67 Galaxie its got a 390 now I got the front sump pan and pickup and new timing cover and I know I will need motor mounts anything special as far as that goes? Also the tranny mount I know the FMX and AOD are the same is there an FMX mount I can get for my 67 out of another year? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You'll need an eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump. Also the water pump is most likely reverse flow but that might not be an issue if you keep the 302 serpentine belts and check the outlet side of it too . Stu

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
What is your suggestion about the computer controller?

Timing and transmission are umder computer control...or aren't they?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No AOD is not under computer control and the Timing has a Real Distributor still but It needs to be swapped still since I have to pull the Timing cover I will be doing eccentric for the fuel pump needs a new water pump and lincolns didnt have a reverse flow pump I will be switching to much newer serpentine belt system in the future just wondering about motor mounts and tranny mounts is there anything special do they make an FMX mount for a 67 galaxie?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You'll need the old style dizzy as it won't have vac advance on the EFI TFI style distributor. You'll probably find a crossmember from an earlier Galaxie ('65) with the old Borg Warner iron case style cruisomatic (not C6) will work, as that is what the FMX is based from. I would offer up your existing crossmember first. It may just need a bit of tweaking or maybe an adapter plate made up. Stu

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
OMG! Please start using periods to seperate your sentences. My head is spinning!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
"Sorry about that."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! Stu

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I'm thinking the motor mount stands are different and don't forget a steel dist. gear for the roller cam.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-11-04 02:25, 5851a wrote:
I'm thinking the motor mount stands are different and don't forget a steel dist. gear for the roller cam.
87 Lincoln non-HO do not have rollers if Im not mistaken.

Frame mounts and engine mounts and she will bop right in. You may need truck headers to clear the steering box though.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
AFAIK HO Mustangs and Mark VII's had them in 85 and the rest of the cars got them in 86, don't know when the trucks had them but I used an 86 econoline engine for a rebuild and had to drill the lifter spider holes but the casting was there. My 86 Crown had rollers and the 88 Town car does.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a roller motor I did my research I know about the steel gear was wondering about anything else I may need to do thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
thought you might be interested. theres a fuel sending unit for a full size ford and mercury, ready for a feul return line, on ebay right now.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey man yeah I am back in vegas and the 390 aint cutting it im gonna go with a carb now and put on EFI later i need the 302 ASAP so im gonna get going on this pretty soon you know anything about getting my AOD to work in a 67 galaxie is there a drop in X Member?

·
Registered
152 Posts
not that i know of. i modified mine to work. it isnt so easy if you still want to retain the ebrake. if not you can move the mounts back that are welded to the frame and a little massaging on the crossmember

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the factory c6 x member will work if it is moved back some? and an FMX/AOD motor mount? I have no reason for the ebrake but it would be nice to have still can the ebrake parts just be moved aroudn a bit or is that no happening maybe a truck setup with the cable running down the left side of the vehicle and then splitting into 2 when it gets to the back of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually with the 2:75 Gears I run and a 302 with and AOD I am looking 23+ HWY but we shall see My galaxie rightn ow gets 8 MPG I know people on here with 450+ Cubic Inch motors that put out over 600 HP that get better milage out of their rides then I do plus I am not about going fast I like to cruise if I want to go fast I will build a cobra kit car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts