Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member. 1963 Galaxie xl 500 convt. Has 289 2v 5 bolt bellhousing to cruise o matic 3 speed auto trans. I want to put in a 390 and use the same tranny if possible, but cant find what bellhousing to use. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi, new member. 1963 Galaxie xl 500 convt. Has 289 2v 5 bolt bellhousing to cruise o matic 3 speed auto trans. I want to put in a 390 and use the same tranny if possible, but cant find what bellhousing to use. Any help appreciated.
Where are you located? Cruise o matics are usually pretty easy to come by.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think it's a C4. Thought they were not made untill after 1963. Im in Bryan Texas. I've got a 390 with C6 offered to me for free from a newer Galaxie, 1967 I think. I dont know if I could just put the whole engine/trans in without too much trouble or find a bellhousing for the 390 to current transmission.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If a 63 289, it was most likely an FX. To use that trans, you would need an FE bell and most likely a FE torque convertor. The FX is fairly weak for a 390. FORD used the MX for higher HP/torque applications.

A C6 upgrade would be nice if you are not concerned about originality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have confirmed that my 63 trans is in fact an FX, too weak for the 390 conversion. I plan to go with the 390 and C6 that a friend will give me for free. Hard to beat. I'm keeping the 289 and FX to restore to original if I ever decide to sell the car, which I doubt. Thanks for everyone's help on the forum. TG in Texas

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
To 63Ford406 I could not find your email address on this forum. I dont know if its public. Thanks for your offer to help with the 390 swap. TG
You can send a private msg to 63ford406 by clicking on his name to go to his profile. There is a little down arrow under the name to select to send a private msg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts