Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I back the Galaxe in into the garage I have less that 2' to work on the engine. That's enough for me but there is no light.

I put some sockets in a pair of 1x6s and fastened the boards to the door frame. Then ran some zip cord to them. The cord is fastened to the top of the door, with slack from there to another fastened point near the plug. A weight keeps the cord fairly taut. Let there be light!

Garage door fin - YouTube

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
:tup:

David

PS: For the long-term, I would eliminate the rubbing of the cord through the hook. Such as, anchoring the cord to the top of the door to relieve any stress on the light. Then place the hook past the end of travel when open, and use a light bungee or screen door spring to hold the cord back. No rubbing through the insulation over time that way. Just a thought. Love the application! :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good suggestion. The garage door lighting I have is on the outside of the door. It lights up a sign that says--NOT a gun free zone--. Yes, it has been duplicated on several other homes. Regards. John--Las Vegas

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:tup:

David

PS: For the long-term, I would eliminate the rubbing of the cord through the hook. Such as, anchoring the cord to the top of the door to relieve any stress on the light. Then place the hook past the end of travel when open, and use a light bungee or screen door spring to hold the cord back. No rubbing through the insulation over time that way. Just a thought. Love the application! :D

The cord is anchored to the top of the door but I have wondered how to avoid the sliding/rubbing of the zip cord through the hook in the ceiling. Someone suggested running it through a coil of air compressor tube. How would you rig up the bungee/screen door spring?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts