Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've discussed air compressors and Harbor Freight tools, but what I'd like to hear about now is how you all heat your garages / workshops.

It is now the rainy season here in the Pacific Northwest and about to get colder than a well diggers ass in Nome.

My last garage (many moons ago and one wife removed) had a cool old steel wood / coal burning stove. I usually burned coal in it because it was cheap ($50 for 1/2 ton) but that stove stayed in the garage when I moved.

Currently I use a Mr Heater forced air propane unit but I blow through the small propane cans in a couple of hours on a cold night, plus my shop has a lot of open area and a lot of the heat gets wasted.

I've been considering a used natural gas furnace (lots on craigs List for $100 or so) and plumbing the gas line in to the shop from the meter, a straight run of about 40'.

So what are you using?

Murff

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Murff, I grew up in Bremerton and my dad had a shop all of my child hood. All we used was just any old chevy we had laying around and about a half gallon of gas. Park it in the middle of the garage and light it and let it go... Should provide an hours or so of extreem heat then a few nice hours of smouldering comfortability!

FE

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea but my shop is wood frame. Too much open flame makes me n-n-nervous. Maybe an ol' Geo, then I could just have a small fire.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Currently I am using a decent sized propane heater for home use. I use it because it was given to me along with 15 gallons of K-1 Kerosene. I put it under my steel desk/makeshift workbench in the space provided for the chair. Heat collects in that space, and I have a medium sized pedestal fan blowing behind it to spread it around. A throw-together torpedo heater is what it is. So far, with temps in the low 30's outside it keeps the garage at a steady 50 degrees.
With the given materials and equipment, this is doing an ok job for now, but I think I will be investing in a nice sized torpedo heater in the near future. I'm a miser when it comes to gas heat, so I dont think I could pay the local gas company to heat my non insulated garage.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You know, Ive been tossing around the idea of a good sized bunch of charcoal for those days that are really bad. It would put out a lot of heat, no doubt, but the smoke. I dont know.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Didnt know so many FM guys were in the West WA area I just moved away from Renton back to Las Vegas we dont need heat out here we have the sun its all its glory what we do need is some type of air conditioning in the summer I would rather have your guys heat problems then it being 120 outside and 135 in the garage

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
A friend uses a kerosene 'bullet' heater.... but that thing is toxic. I don't like to be in there very long with it running.

Another friend has an old natural gas furnace. It works good. It doesn't even have any ductwork. It just has a 90 degree elbow on the top the heat blows out of. Of course, it would be even more efficient with the outlet and inlet at opposite ends of the garage. (recommended, especially if the garage is very large)

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Dual burner Mr. Heater, 7 1/2 propane gallon tank, $12 Walmart floor fan.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
the house I rented just north of here..had a 30x50 shop that I used regularly. Anyway, it had a wood stove for heat. At that time I could always find wood to cut up. A lot of the heat escaped through the chimney as most wood stoves do. I rigged a 18 wheeler intercooler to the outlet and put a couple of smaller mobile-home style squirrel cage fans behind it to blow the air. It heated the shop nicely. I ended up having to put the fans on a rheostat to turn them down a little, but it worked great.

The house I'm in now...all electric. Don't have a shop any more either, just a little 24x20 garage which is easy to heat with a propane heater.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Oil furnace. This is the third one, but it very nice and efficient. I heat my garage all winter. I keep it at 40 to 45 just to keep things from freezing. Keeps the rust off the tools also. I crank it up when I'm working out there. I don't like open flames in a garage. When it's 0 degrees outside 60 is perfect inside a shop. When I paint, I crank it to 80.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Well, I didn't really answer the question about how I heat my garage.

Well, my garage is the first story of my house! The house is built on top of a full basement. One end has a driveway cut down into it, with two garge doors. Open the doors, and one is open all the way to the other side of the house. There is enough room for over three cars front to back on that side. The other end has room for one car, a stairwell, and storage/workroom. Being part of the house and mostly underground, it stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter all by itself. If I need it cooler or warmer, I just open some of the furnace/AC vents. Since it stays at a fairly constant temperature, no condensation builds up, and parts (even machined ones) don't rust any worse than they would in your living room... which is pretty much not at all.

Quick answer... I don't heat or cool the garage!

For anybody building a house, I totally recommend building a basement underneath! As long as the grade is right, it won't leak water. It's also the CHEAPEST way to add square footage for more home or garage space. If used for a garage, it's ALWAYS at a good temperature, so all you need to do is go downstairs to work on something. No big deal with getting it warmed up or cooled down. Just be careful with flammables. I mess with large amounts of flammables outside, and keep several fire extinguishers scattered around down there. As far as storing parts and cars.... you can't beat it! Both my wife and I keep our cars down there in the winter. It's nice being able to simply go downstairs and get in a warm car when it's snowing outside.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Certainly not a big problem here in Vegas ...

I have a nice Goose Down Vest I wear as needed.

At worst (on average) we deal with 35 degree lows and 55 degree highs in the dead of winter.

Not so bad from where I sit.

I deal with the other end of the scale ... I installed a real nice swamp cooler last spring to contend with the 110 deregee highs and 85 degree lows and ten percent humidity ... in the throws of summer ...

Sure was a welcome change out in the old garage this year

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I dont have one now or anything, but corn burners are awesome. If you are at all in a rural area, corn is very very cheap, and creates an amazing amount of heat. One of my friends had one in her basement, and it heated the whole thing very very well.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are some pretty awesome replies, folks. I'm still down with burning Chebbys but corn? Ain't that for making alky?

And dbu8554, how could you possibly leave Renton (aka The Unsynchronized Stoplight Capitol of the World) for Vegas?

All of you 'sunny southern weather' folks have it made and I'm jealous.

Murff

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Corn is for white lightning.

We usually used a kerosene heater, not one of the bullet-style ones, just an upright floor heater, like this one:

Worked pretty well, and it wasn't tooo smelly.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yep, that looks like what I'm using, with a fan next to it. I dont think its gonna be enough for when it gets real cold though. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Murff wow your are the first person to notice the stoplights aside from me and for everyone else is the world when one light goes green the next one will be turning red its always this way AND when your light is green the other light is usually still yellow so it makes driving a adventure if your not paying attention to the lights for the side streets. Where do you live up there murff?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts