Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to paint my 1969 Galaxie in my shop and wanted a few opinions on my exhaust plans. Hoping this will also exhaust the bodywork dust that comes with blowing off the car. Spraying House of Kolor VOC compliant paint.
Watch Font Parallel Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Consider blowing filtered air “into” the garage.
This “pressurizes” the space and prevents dust from being drawn in from cracks that are hard to seal.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Consider blowing filtered air “into” the garage.
This “pressurizes” the space and prevents dust from being drawn in from cracks that are hard to seal.
How about adding 4 box fans on the outside of the garage door before the filters?
Watch Rectangle Clock Analog watch Slope

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Seems like it might work.... however I have personally never done a home paint job.
So my free advice is worth pretty much $0.00

I just remembered reading in Hot Rod Mag (I think) years ago, about "pressurizing" the space,
rather than trying to exhaust the fumes and filter the entry make-up air.

The article stated that an exhaust fan "sucking air out" of the building would draw air (and dust)
in thru all kinds of places you would never suspect, or be able to seal effectively.
Essentially, air and dust would come in that has bypassed your intake filters.

I think a cross draft setup with fans blowing in through some filters,
and a slightly smaller air exit path might be the way to go.

Got any windows in there you could use?

That's all I got, sorry, not much help.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries, any opinion is better than just mine and I appreciate it. I should have mentioned the shop is 30'x30' and I will have plastic sheet drops as the walls (30'x12') that will be taped to the Ram Board 0.042 floor protectant to cover the epoxied floors. Trying to be a econimical as possible since this will likely be my last paint job. Man that sounds bad..........

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Design #2. Better or worse than the original? Assuming I close of the top of the garage door opening with plastic.
Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Circle

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Looks ok,
too bad you don't have a window on the wall opposite the overhead door.
Could get a nice cross draft going.

3200 cfm should get some air moving.
Maybe make a test run, see how it goes.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe make a test run, see how it goes.
Yup, I think thats the next step. Need to shoot the last round of superbuild before final blocking, that might be the best test.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Most of the time, paint booths use an exhaust fan, and then have air filters to filter all incoming air. The issue you have to think about is the paint type and fan type. If you use flammable/explosive paint (non-water based) and a fan that doesn't have a sealed motor to keep fumes away from the motor's sparks, BOOM. This is also a reason to use a fan to blow filtered air in.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
323 Posts
Dont over think it or over engineer everything.
Dont get all caught up in postive or negative pressure, etc. Just try and get dry overspray and fumes out of shop.
One good exhaust fan is all you need, if you want to draw air in somewhere use a filter.
Just wet the floor down and spray it.
I use a regular old barn end exhaust fan and a simple $20 box fan leaned up against wall at 45° pointing toward the exhaust fan. No filters, no plastic. Enough air comes in through the cracks to keep stuff moving.
I try and sweep or blow everything out the day before and wash floor down and let it dry, then wet floor before painting and it stays wet while painting and helps keep dirt/dust down and helps catch some overspray too.
Wear a good mask, wipe your air hose down good (tack rag), etc. Good product, Good paint, Good prep, is worth way more than the place or space. Ive sprayed cars outside on pavement, buffed it out and no one knows.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks FEandGoingBroke. Unfortunatly I do not have many options as the garage door and man door are on the same wall. No other windows or vents in my shop other than the wood burning 8" exhaust stack which IS on the opposite sider. My thought was to crack the garage roll-up about 24" and fill the full 24" x 12' with a frame and filter(s). Then put the 24" fan pointed out the man door at the top of the door with it open. I was going to velco some screen door material around the man door opening for entry/exit.

My preliminary tests while shooting primer over the whole car seem to work. Open to other solutions, besides cutting holes in the shop walls.

·
Registered
63 convertable
1,086 Posts
my experience---- run your fans for hours before you shoot. dont slam doors, be careful with hose management. ( easy to splash floor water moving the hose. helper is nice)

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my experience---- run your fans for hours before you shoot. dont slam doors, be careful with hose management. ( easy to splash floor water moving the hose. helper is nice)
Good idea on running the fans early on. Going to have my 22 y.o. son there to help with mixing, clean up bust most important hose management. Can you imagine on the 5th coat or candy, the hose runs through it..........please no!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts