Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m just a backyard mechanic, but from my perspective bent pushrods come from incorrect cam timing, incorrect rocker arms, incorrect rocker arm studs (or installation), or improper rocker arm gap. There’s always the remote possibly of a backfire.
Good luck. Please post the actual reason.
I definitely will. I'm going back in their Monday to check on things. Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
bad gas didn't cause that. bad repair work did. holy cow, thats not, not good. make sure the cam lobes arent wiped out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Inspect the lifters and lobes. To compress those pushrods untill they bent there was excess load somewhere else too. So lifters and lobes could also be damaged. Coil bind could be root cause. Check springs when valves are full open. Pushrods too long. Check lifter preload. If cause is piston to valve contact then valves could be bent. This would show up with a compression test or leak down test.
Bad gas. Not a chance that is the cause.

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
I have seen them bend when a guy installs the rocker shaft with an air ratchet too quickly. I have also seen old gas varnish up and when it cools off and you go to start, bent pushrods due to stuck valves.

Could be either or both, if the car had old gas, even mixed with fresh, could have been some varnish.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I just got my 66 Gal back about a week ago from the engine re builder. The throttle response feels the same as it did before the rebuild.
I wonder if you had bent rods before? Instead of R/R whatever part was causing the problem, they just re-used it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have seen them bend when a guy installs the rocker shaft with an air ratchet too quickly. I have also seen old gas varnish up and when it cools off and you go to start, bent pushrods due to stuck valves.

Could be either or both, if the car had old gas, even mixed with fresh, could have been some varnish.
Wow, thats pretty crazy. Makes sense though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, what did they find (on your Monday visit)?
They found 2 bad lifters so far. They won't tell me if they were installed incorrectly or if they were just bad. They said the lobes are OK, and everything else they have found so far. I'm skeptical at this point. Now I'm worried that engine won't last long.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Questions (not from a critiquing point, but from an education point).
1. Solid or hydraulic lifters?
2. What’s “bad” about the lifters? If they’re hydraulic lifters, if they don’t pump up, that would create more slack (less chance of interference). I suppose if the hydraulic lifters locked up in the “up” position, that might cause a problem.
Unless they were the incorrect lifters, this is a new one for me. Thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Questions (not from a critiquing point, but from an education point).
1. Solid or hydraulic lifters?
2. What’s “bad” about the lifters? If they’re hydraulic lifters, if they don’t pump up, that would create more slack (less chance of interference). I suppose if the hydraulic lifters locked up in the “up” position, that might cause a problem.
Unless they were the incorrect lifters, this is a new one for me. Thanks for keeping us posted.
It's my bad for not knowing if they are solid or hydrolic. I know when they first got my first nine running they said 2 of the lifter were "sticking" and sometimes this happens and will work its self out. I don't think they are keeping stuff from me persay, but they definitely aren't telling me something.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the hyd lifter sticks down it can let the push rod move out of the rocker arm and get bent. This is what it sounds like happened to me but with out being able to look at the engine it's only a guess. You should have heard a tapping noise coming from the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I called the shop yesterday to check on my Gal since its been a few weeks. I thought they were just replacing the rods and lifters. Now I guess they are pulling the entire engine and going over everything. Im pretty sure the builder did something wrong with the build that they are not telling me. Im worried they are going to try to cut corners now just to get it out of the shop quickly. I definitely made the wrong choice on shops and builders. Live and learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Might have better luck walking down there and talking to the mechanic instead of the front office.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts