Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been the discussion about the gas over flow on these 65 rancheros I've read a lot of them. I couldn't put gas in the almost empty tank even at a slow trickle. I took the filler hose off at the top and bent it slightly and gas started pouring out there was only about a gallon in the tank but it never stopped coming out. I vented the hose a bit and put the gas back in and it stayed in. Then back to the gas station and same thing gas still comes out and seems to be pushed out. Please help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's almost as if there is pressure behind the gas and it's being forced out. There is no blockage it's about a 2 1/2 inch fuel hose going straight from filler cap to the tank it's about 14 inches long. I know there is no vent in the tank on these s I have read and also can't find one

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Is it possible your gas gauge is wrong and it is actually full or have you tried to drain the tank?

If I'm reading this right you have gas coming out the top of the filler neck where the gas station pump nozzle goes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there is no gauge but I've been under the car and swayed the tank side to side and can only hear a little in there and that was before about a gallon and a half drained out of the neck. Other forum posts I found on this topic say to run my own vent hose from the top of the tank to the filler neck so I started to put a small hole in the top of the tank and gas started coming out of the top and I know that there is not that much gas in the tank to be full to the top. So I plugged it back up and joined this forum to hopefully get some help

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
If gas started coming out the TOP of the tank then it's full. What did you use to make a hole in the tank and how did you plug it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a tiny drill bit just to test it without making a big hole. It's pretty much a pin prick then I put jb weld over it. Well I was 99.9 percent sure it wasn't full but now I'm doubting myself Im not sure how to check it to be positive. When I knocked on it and moved it around it felt empty and sounded empty. Now I'm feeling like i just pulled an idiot move and didn't fully check first. I guess what I'll do is just keep some gas in the back and drive till I run out to be sure until I can hook up a fuel gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Drilling into a fuel tank is probably not the best idea I've heard today. You do realize that the drill has an electric motor that creates spark and now you have fuel vapors escaping from the hole you just drilled. That's a really good way to blow up your car and yourself. :tdn:

From what you're describing it sounds like the tank is already full. Can't you just stick a rope or something into the filler and see what it shows when you pull it out?

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
He was thinking, a little. At least he used a small drill bit. :)

But even with the vented gas tank in my 65 Falcon, it's nearly impossible to fill the tank without it splashing back out.

Jet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the stupidest thing I've heard in about 5 years!

Why the hell would you DRILL A HOLE in your Fuel Tank??????????

Use your head sir, it's not so hard to simply remove the fuel tank and inspect it. But drilling a hole in it is comparable to Forrest Gump driving a race car.
First of all no need to to be a ****. If you read your fancy little quote about morons and your older posts and that cool stuff then you should already know and take it easy with your "super funny" or offensive comments about forest gump.

Second I never said I used a drill I said I used a tiny drill bit. And that was to run a vent hose from the top of tank to the filler neck like plenty of other people have apparently done.

Sooooo thanks to you that tried to help and no thanks to the cool funny highschool kids making comments that don't help

The point of this forum is for people to help people that don't know as much, I would hope

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Sorry you took offense to me calling you names. I certainly don't get my kankles all ruffled when someone calls me out.

But putting a hole in your otherwise perfectly good fuel tank is just plain dumb. no other way to put it.

If you have your fuel tank OUT an can control the situation i can see where it's OK to make a hole and put a pressure relief hose on it, but that helps very little overall, it's the filling technique that you must get used to.

Use your ear when you fill and you'll not have fuel shooting out anymore. unless there is an obstruction like I said or alluded to earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
On my 64 I have to almost turn the filler nozzle upside down, aimed slightly at the passenger side of the car. Every gas station has different nozzles it seems so I have to adapt to each situation. Some fuel always spills out tho.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
On my 64 I have to almost turn the filler nozzle upside down, aimed slightly at the passenger side of the car. Every gas station has different nozzles it seems so I have to adapt to each situation. Some fuel always spills out tho.
yep, that's the way it's done.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I finally got tired of it and removed the filler hose. I cut it down and installed a cap just above the tank almost like the fuel cell I have now is set-up. Sure you have to open the trunk to fill the tank but no more hassles with fuel backing up. I got tired of it taking ten minutes for a fill-up on a 16 gallon tank. :tdn:

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
adding a vent to an non vented tank sounds like a good idea on the old tanks. Ford did it on the cars why not the rancheros?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
65FalconLover,

What did your cap inside the tank look like? And where did you get it?

Mine has got to the point where it overflows no matter how slow or how I point the nozzle.

I park in my garage and rarely leave the car parked anywhere out of my sight except at work, and it's a gated parking lot. So, I don't know where an obstruction would have came from?

Jet

1 - 20 of 26 Posts