Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked out to the garage today to find a puddle of gas underneath the gal. Specifically the hose, a few inches down from the hard line.
Guess all those years of ETOH finally broke through.
PXL_20201017_185946299.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
55 years seems to be their limit.;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
On a different subject, that looks like a pretty fat tire there. What size are you running?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
225 x 50

·
Registered
22 Posts
The older fuel line hose are not compatible with ethanol fuels be sure to replace all of those with the more pricey hoses made for fuel injection. Ethanol can harden them and make them brittle I had one crack in my '54 and it started a small fire that fried some wiring luckily I got it put out fast. Don't learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last month after 40 years I cleared out all the ethanol gas and filled the tank with Ethanol Free. Then the hose cracked, Might be a coincidence but makes me wonder about fake news and what cracks hoses in one month - when for 40 years.there was no problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The rubber hoses will give up after 50 years regardless of ETOH in the fuel. It sure doesn't help, but I think they are well past their shelf-life at that point.

Mine is leaking by the tank now, too, where the rubber hose meets the sender. And the sender gasket unit is also leaking. All original stuff, all brittle, all getting replaced soon, including the hardline.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Last month after 40 years I cleared out all the ethanol gas and filled the tank with Ethanol Free. Then the hose cracked, Might be a coincidence but makes me wonder about fake news and what cracks hoses in one month - when for 40 years.there was no problem.
It wasn't 1 month, it was 40 years and 1 month...it just happened to fail now....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts