Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 63 galaxie I just bought and the gas guage isn't working. This may be a goofy question, but is there a way I can tell if it's the guage or the unit in the tank? I checked the wire coming out of the tank, the wire going into the "empty" side of the guage, and the terminal coming out of the "full" side on the guage, and the test light blinks at all those points. I've never dealt with this before and I'm not a wiring expert by any means, so I was wondering if there is a trick to find the problem. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unplug the electrical connection and ground it. If the gauge jumps, you got bad sender. The unit is a cinch to replace, and it's probably all rusted. At that age, you'd be best off to replace the unit and the o'ring.

sean

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the info guys! After checking the guage with batteries it turned out ok, so I grounded the wire going into the tank and the guage took off to full. So I guess I have a bad sending unit, huh? Now my question is, does anyone sell one for less than $70 or is that the going rate? The cheapest I've seen is $60 that Mac's had on ebay, but w/ shipping I'm back to $70. I hate to sound cheap and that may just be how much they are. Just thought maybe someones seen one cheaper? And Jeff, I'll certainly pull the unit out and check the float before placing the order! Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Most of the time when guages go out it because the float leaks. When it fills with gas it can"t rise to show the fuel level.

You can probally get an O-ring and float and fix it. I just did that on my Ranchero. Cost less than$20.00 plus shipping.

Is the car a daily driver? If not, you can drain the tank and remove the sender to check it. Simply connect a VOM to the ground (flange) and the terminal. Set the meter to ohms and raise and lower the the arm, watch the change in the ohms.

Another way if you don't have a VOM, is use a test light. Ground a negative lead to the guage flange. Use the test light as the positive source connected to the terminal. Raise and lower the float and the light will vary in intensity

Hope this makes sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.