Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an article a while back in mustangs and fords or mustang monthly about a company that makes a steel plate that goes over the stock tank. Ive seen one advertised on the web, but they want $200 and its welded. The one i saw in the mag was less and was pressed so it was 1 peice. anyone know who sells this and their contact info?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I think Canadian Mustang has what you want. I don't have a number, but good luck.
Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
www.tankarmor.com

This was the one that was featured in the magazine. It is welded, but only in the corners. There isn't really a way to press 11 gauge steel without weakening the corners, besides cutting the corners and welding them and pressing the edges, which is what they did. 200 bucks is steep though...

Chris

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have installed one of these into a 65 FB mustang. I took it a step further though because it seemed apparent that there was a mismatch here. The plate is so much stronger than the surrounding sheet metal floor of the car. The fuel tank bolts could easily pull thru the thin sheet metal in a collision thus exposing the fuel tank to the inside. What i did was to weld (short bead about every 2 or 3 inches) 1 x 1/8 steel stock around the fuel tank hole on the bottom of the car to strengthen the area (welded the 1/8 strips together in the corners too). I also used grade eight 1/4 inch bolts.

An added benefit of the tank armor is that it will stiffen the rear of the car and make it handle better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts