Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been looking for a gas tank for my 1964 comet caliente with no luck. I've looked in dearborn classics and Mac's trying to find one. I'm sure there's somebody somewhere thats got them. Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated

·
Registered
634 Posts
I thought the Falcon one would work, give one of the suppliers a call and ask. Same basic car on a lot of parts.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
No, Falcon one WILL not work, unless you buy a new one, and have it modified, the fill neck is at a different angle, and as far as I know, nobody makes a drop in ready to go unit......Comet market for parts even smaller than the Falcon.....JW

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I bought a 64 comet that had a new gas tank installed. I will have to call and see where he got it. He had the inside coated as well. Here it is below.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only difference between the photo above and the one I dropped in my '65 Falcon is the color and the fact that I can't see if it has the vent tube on the other side of the filler neck. For many years I ran a Mustang tank which doesn't have the angled inlet. I used an exhaust elbow cut to size and welded to the filler flange. Never had a problem. Both were sixteen gallon and have the same foot print. Why wouldn't the Falcon tank work?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also need a tank for 64 comet hardtop.approx 28"wide 35" deep.Have read other threads that the fiberglass tank were the only option, but some were having problems with degradation due to the additives in fuel,effecting the resin. have also heard falcon tanks will fit with some mods and that a stock muffler will interfere on comets. anybody got some measurements on the falcon tanks?

·
Registered
380 Posts
What part of the tank did you measure? If it was the mounting flange dimentions, this should drop in.
Fuel Tank, 16 Gallon, Falcon, 1960-1965 - Ford Parts

I bought mine on eBay but the Mustang tank I referenced was purchased from National Parts Depot. I switched back to the Falcon tank because of rust build up due to the car just sitting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
lip dimensions (flange) on tank 35 x 28, raised /rounded dim. 26 x 32, all measured from in the trunk filler in the back, offset to the pass side.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'll go out and measure mine later today and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
RockAuto has 16gal tanks for the Falcon, cheaper then Dearborn.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # F28B
Lock Ring Kit Included
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/ Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Sedan
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/ Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Hardtop
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/ Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Coupe

Choose: [Regular Inventory] ($83.79)[Private Label Package] ($113.99)$83.79Add Part
See Options at LeftSPECTRA PREMIUM Part # F28F
Lock Ring Kit Included
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/o Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Sedan
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/o Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Hardtop
16 Gallon (Aftermarket Style); w/o Drain Plug; 32-5/8" x 24-1/2" x 8"; When Replacing the Original 14 Gallon Tank with 16 Gallon, You Must Use the FG86A Sending Unit.; Coupe

Choose: [Regular Inventory] ($96.79)[Private Label Package] ($114.89) -* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business days$96.79

·
Registered
380 Posts
Now I'm wondering if they are the same!
Here are the numbers on my Futura from inside the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 2 64 comet calientes, 1 2dr ht, the other 4dr sedan parts car, both tanks measure 29" WIDE and 35" DEEP front to back the opposite of the photo on the futura. I believe that there was a muffler fitment issue on the 64 comets only. many of the catalogs ,spectrum, dearborn, dont list dimensions for all of the tanks. worse yet many of the photos are not correct. I have been trying to find an definite answer on this.for some time. BTW where's packy? this was his thread.

·
Registered
634 Posts
packy 04 , may just be along for the ride to where ever you guys take him. Sure hasn't gave this thread much attention.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i got hold of a guy at Thunderbird connections in phoenix AZ. he restores falcons and comets too, Definitely there are no new metal tanks,so its fiberglass. used. fabbed. of fuel cell,

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Or restore it. Eastwood comes to mine or a good shop. If it doesn't have holes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Both tanks I have are dented just under the bumper, all along the width, maybe an inch and a half deep, pretty sharply creased. The one I'm using doesn't leak,works fine, since i cleaned it. Looks ugly, don't really fell comfy trying to weld on it. Can they be restored reasonably?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've always been told never weld on a gas tank. I think that's probably good advice. The way I see it, that leaves two options for getting rid of that dent.

Option one: find a way to knock that dent out from the inside. That would be very difficult since you'd have to work through the filler neck or the opening for the sending unit. There's a body tool out there called a bullseye that might do it, but odds are it won't.

Option two: buy a new tank.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've always been told never weld on a gas tank. I think that's probably good advice. The way I see it, that leaves two options for getting rid of that dent.

Option one: find a way to knock that dent out from the inside. That would be very difficult since you'd have to work through the filler neck or the opening for the sending unit. There's a body tool out there called a bullseye that might do it, but odds are it won't.

Option two: buy a new tank.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Couple of years ago when i bought my new tank from Auto City Classics, i;m thinking the guys name was Mike, if i recall he was talking about offering new tanks & i'm sure one he mentioned was for Comets
worth a call or checkout their website

1 - 20 of 25 Posts