Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 66 is putting up a fight with me here. She's been sitting since February and ran fine then. My issue is with fuel flow or my lack of it.

I just swapped out the electric fuel pump with another one that I knew worked. Still no pressure. I took the lower hose off to see if gas would flow from the tank and I got a very slight dribble. The tank has about 6 fresh gallons in it. In my understanding shouldn't it be flowing when I do this?? All I can think of is that there is something plugged up in the tank. Could I just push a piece of wire up there to try and dislodge it?

Am I missing something here? Could it be the sending unit that is blocking something? The tank/sending unit is original and never touched.

Please help!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: matt1190 on 6/24/06 5:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The sender has a hump in it, and the actual pickup tube is angled at about a 45 into the bottom of the tank. If the gas isn't above the level of that bend (where it starts going down) you wont get a flow out of the line.

On top of that, there's a mesh screen on the end of the pickup tube that is more than likely plugged after 40 years. Pull it and take a look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Last time I had the same problem so off with the tank emptied out there were small partcles looked like dirt all in my tank, on w, new tank new fuel filters problem solved
also I installed a fuel press gauge by the tank to see whats comming out of the pump & one by the carb so I know whats going in, so next time I have a fuel issue I can track it down easier

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had a fuel flow problem with my Mustang about ten years ago. Would uncouple the main fuel line at both ends, then blast air through it. That worked for about one month at a time, then stoppage again.

I finally ran a old speedometer cable up the fuel line from the tank end. Obstruction was right there within 2-3 feet of where the lines circles around the rear axle. More air, and P-tooie, a wad of rust came out. No more mysterious fuel starvation on the freeway after this.

Find a speedo cable and jamb it up the tube a ways.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My pick up strainer was also clogged. It looked more like varnish than dirt. Best $3.00 I ever invested. Some days it ran fine, other days wouldn't run at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts