Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these gas tank sealer kits that are available? It says in details that you need muriatic acid and acetone .Gas tank is going back in car and was thinking about doing it ,but had doubts ? Is there anything else to use ? any input please thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I helped a friend using the POR 15 system from a local auto paint store. It involved a lot of steps and took a lot of time rolling the tank on the driveway, flushing the previous treatment component out and waiting for each step to dry. We were both pretty pleased with the results though. Cost was about $80 and it included everything needed except the duct tape to seal in the various chemicals used in each step.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I recommend a new tank. I think I had around $200 for mine. No wondering if I would have to do it again. If you can swing the purchase, its the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Tank liner traditionally is a simple quart of 100% Urethane pure and simple.

Now with these asshats at POR and DR Radiator etc... etc... the prices are fekkin RIDICULOUS!

It should take no more than a quart to do it with 2 hours prep time and Cost less than $20 bucks for the sealer, but you can't even get a HALF pint of anything made by POR for less than $30 bucks.

Anyhow, you simply need some 1/4" or 5/16" chain about a 5 footer or so then put it in your DRY tank and shake the piss out of it.

Then you should rinse it out with M.E.K (which is a slower evaporating form of Acetone) or Acetone because it leaves very little residue, then once it's fully dry, you pour in the sealer, and twist and turn the fuel tank until the entire inside is coated, then pour the excess back into the sealer can you got it from.

Allow 24 hours to dry then re-install and use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts