Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and yet another electrical question....... I want to hook up the wire to sending unit so i can tell when i'm going to run out of gas:rolleyes:

I installed new tank/sending unit etc... i believe i found the small connector that goes on the sending unit "stud" and with only two wires left in trunk not being used. one is a black one that i'm pretty sure goes to licnese plate and the other (need to confirm) is a white one that is in the correct location to go to sending unit.

Hoping i have the correct connector and re-wire to tank tonight. Should this wire be "hot".....i'm thinking not and want to check before i wire.

Can anyone explain how this system works?

thanks
sixty3/kevin

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yes, that wire receives voltage from the gauge, the resistance to ground at the sending unit bolted ground is what moves the gauge needle higher or lower according to float level. Which is why when you lose ground to the fuel tank you lose gauge accuracy.

The voltage is like 3.2v or thereabouts. Do NOT in any way SUPPLY voltage to that wire that does not come directly from the gauge cluster it's self.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so theres not acually a ground wire on the sending unit. the sending unit should be grounded because its locked in the tank and the tank is bolted to body thus grounding the sending unit? the electrical diagram shows a ground and i am assuming this is how its done.

1963 Galaxie wireing - Bing Images

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
and yet another electrical question....... I want to hook up the wire to sending unit so i can tell when i'm going to run out of gas:rolleyes:

I installed new tank/sending unit etc... i believe i found the small connector that goes on the sending unit "stud" and with only two wires left in trunk not being used. one is a black one that i'm pretty sure goes to licnese plate and the other (need to confirm) is a white one that is in the correct location to go to sending unit.

Hoping i have the correct connector and re-wire to tank tonight. Should this wire be "hot".....i'm thinking not and want to check before i wire.

Can anyone explain how this system works?

thanks
sixty3/kevin
To me it looks like the sender wire is yellow with white stripe. Originally, anyways :) When the float rises it increases the ground, when the tank is full the ground will be at a maximum (~10 ohm). You can see if your gauge is working by grounding the yellow-white wire, the gauge should read full or past full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts