Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shotrod64 gave me a tank, thanks !!!!

You rule.

Im not sure if im gonna end up using it.

I've been investigating and im starting to lean more towards buying a new one. I like the idea of dropping it in and not having to worry about it

What are you guys and gal running, where did you get your new tank from ?

I saw this auction on ebay and i'd like it alot, especially for the price, do you think it would work ?

Item number: 230032285392

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230032285392

Deb let me know if you want or need that tank, or if any other Galaxie owners wanna pick it up, its all yours

L

·
Registered
34 Posts
1157,I ASSUME you are wanting a tank for a 63.If thats right I thought Id tell you what I know.My tank was leaking and I wasnt sure about useing a Mustang tank(I did think about it )just couldnt find out if it would work.Couldnt find a steel tank for a 63,but i was able to find a 64 tank in a yard-$100.Got it home and lo-and-behold the fillernecks are different.I had to cut the 2 necks off and switch them.I also had to buy some rubber made for gas tanks to mate them-$25.If I had it do over I would buy the Crites.I know its fiberglass but I figure that the steel tanks go bad too.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually have a 64, i have 2 tanks now, one is really clean, but the price for the sealer or to get it cleaned and sealed just aint worth it.

tomorrow im gonna go and get a repro-mustang tank and see if it fits, if it doesn't im gonna cut the floor and drop it in there. the rear body panel on my 64 has been shaved and de-trimmed so i have to open the trunk to fill it either way

Thanks for the info though

L

·
Registered
34 Posts
By all means let me know how it fits.I am currently redoing my car and could easly change something if I could make a custom app.At the time I wanted to stay stock.BTW I just saw the R.I.P.!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I have no use for the tank and need to be getting rid of stuff rather than collecting right now. Packout date is Dec 13-15th, est of 10,000 lbs! So tossing decrepit computer desks and other things. I'm such a pack rat!

Maybe someone else can use it.

For $89 you can have the tank cleaned and checked for leaks and know it will fit. I don't see any reason to get one sealed if it has no leaks and lasted for however many years to start with. Mine looks like it was drug behind the car on a rope with all the dents in it from rocks.
You will have to swap necks or some kind of mod for the Mustang tank I'm sure. But the advantage is others will know if they want to do it or not.

This place has the steel tanks for those of you who don't want fiberglass.

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastanks_ford.html

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Don't they make new reproduction tanks for your car? That would probably be the best way to go.

Last time I checked, they don't make them for 60/61 so I had to have my tank resealed which cost a fortune.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I got mine from Auto City Classic, 1-800-828-2212 from Minnesota, awesome reproduction tank, plus they have everything to go with it, straps, sender etc. They list in Hemmings for 60-64 Gals. I don't think mine came to much over 300 shipped and came to Canada via UPS in less than 4 days- incredible!!! I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is my follow-up, Really LATE!!! Pictures of my "extremely"rare !ha
Fuel tank resto. I started with orig and had the renew process done.Note the interior of tank pic.Crust and rust!Fuel sending unit actually worked but I could not reuse it in the condition it was in.Restored fuel system and also rebuilt the HOLLY 4160 Carb,by the way I will be pulling it off and installing a Edelbrock.So if anyone is interested $100.00 plus shipping.Hope this helps.Any info needed just let me know.
Edz64 http://www.fordmuscle.com/pictures/Edz64

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn dude, that looks as good as a ************ !!!!!

L

·
Registered
256 Posts
Where did you get the tank done Edz64? By the way, nice looking car.

1972 TR6 302 V8

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64squire on 10/6/06 10:44pm ]</font>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey,thanks for the input.
ShotRod:If your question is about the carb,YES, the rebuild kit is already installed and I have been drivin her since.Runs good but I like Edelbrock performance better.I will post before and after pics of the carb if you'd like. LMK
64Squire:I had the tank "RENU" process done at a "Authorized" shop(Radiator Shop) called MAC's in the city of Paramount I believe.Mattson's Radiator in the city of Stanton,California also does this
"RENU" process. I paid $175.00 because I got a smokin ass deal thru a
friends shop.(Shop Rate)about 275.00 with no deal I think!!!!!!
If you need details just let me know.Glad to help.
I like the white squire,really sets the "WOODY" contrast the best I think.
I am just detailing the fiberglass "Wood" too. Its coming along.Very cool.
Talk to Y'all soon. EDZ64

1 - 15 of 15 Posts