Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to remove my waterpump because it was leaking as I was pouring in coolant. I found that the gasket on the inner cover had cinched inwards and allowed the leak.

Can I use RTV instead of a gasket or should I just stick to the gasket and a gasket sealer?

thanks

g

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...I cleaned both surfaces and got new gaskets....and it still leaks.

The problem is the seal between the water pump and the back plate at the bottom. The coolant seaps through at that spot.

When the water pump is bolted to the timing cover, there is nothing applying pressure to that area on the timing cover and that area "bows" slightly allowing the coolant to get by.

When I took the water pump off, I can see the gap left by the bowing back plate.

I'm leaning towards RTV to provide a thicker gasket.

thoughts?

thanks

g

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hey there...
Make sure the plate is on right... I had mine on wrong and she leaked no matter what I did.
use sealant and the gasket and she'll be good.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Considering your cooling system runs at 15psi of pressure, I doubt any kind of bead, or anything thicker than a film of sealant, will stand up to the pressure. It might not leak when you pour the coolant in, but as soon as you put the cap on and get it up to operating temp it's gonna push the silicon right out of the gap. Try to figure out why there is a gap, like Thordane65 said maybe you have it put together wrong?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The water pump back plate was slightly bowed between the two lower and only retaining bolts. I worked that plate until it layed flat aganst my water pump housig. I'm sticking with a gasket and sealant and have her all bolted back together again...

hope this is it...g

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Make sure your thermostat isn't in backwards! The Spring part should be inside the intake manifold. If the thermostat is installed incorrectly, you will put unnecessary pressure on the cooling system.

Remember...Success is a Journey, Not a Destination

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FATNFAST on 12/10/06 11:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What they all said. Also that plate is thin sheet metal. If its over-torqued it will distort at the bolt holes. Straighten with a mild use of a hammering and a flat piece of steel. Then go to the parts store and get some Copper sealant in the bottle with a brush in the cap. It has much better sealing properties than RTV does. It dries to a semi flexible but tough adhesive/sealant. Use that on a good gasket and don't over torque your fasteners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts