Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one out there have any experience with installing and using a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit on a Ford top loader 4-speed? I am thinking about using the GVOD unit instead of installing a Tremec 5-speed in a 70 Mach 1. Not sure which way to go. I'm not racing the car. I just want a good street machine. My rear gear is a 4:30.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Haven;t used one behind a stick, have one with an auto & its a pretty striaght forward install
As you probably know, you can either put it in manual, & run 6 forward speeds or switch to auto mod & let it shift 1,2,3 to O/D, with an auto at least.
Good read about using with a 4 speed at the GV website.
The over gears keep your motor in its perfect rev range on shifts, i.e - shifting from 1st to 1st "over" or any shift for that matter, you only drop ,maybe 250-350rpm.
On a 2.6 mile road course track we knocked a full 6 seconds off lap times, just being able to be in the perfect rev range, in & out of corners
And, the GV;s are just so much fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven;t used one behind a stick, have one with an auto & its a pretty striaght forward install
As you probably know, you can either put it in manual, & run 6 forward speeds or switch to auto mod & let it shift 1,2,3 to O/D, with an auto at least.
Good read about using with a 4 speed at the GV website.
The over gears keep your motor in its perfect rev range on shifts, i.e - shifting from 1st to 1st "over" or any shift for that matter, you only drop ,maybe 250-350rpm.
On a 2.6 mile road course track we knocked a full 6 seconds off lap times, just being able to be in the perfect rev range, in & out of corners
And, the GV;s are just so much fun!
Thanks for the info on your GVOD. I just wanted to get a few opinions about these units. Knocking 6 seconds off your lap time is very good.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
No, sorry for mistaking you, had another guy on a different forum ask that exact same question about putting a GVOD behind a 4-speed muscle car transmission not an hour before I saw this one.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, I haven't used one personally, so it's all second hand. But gear splitting plus the OD is nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.