Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an overdrive for the stang for a while. I love my toploader but highway cruising is boarderline at best. So I figured a gear vendors O/D is the perfect solution. I get to keep the bulletproof toploader and get an O/D for the highway. $2500 for a toploader unit!! Now most of you guys know that I'm cost consious(RE: cheap, broke, etc.). For $2500 I could have a Tremec. Why would someone bother with the Gear vendors?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah, plus I dont think the gear vendors is going to last, strengt wise, in a drag racing environment.

I think your best best is a tremec or even a world class T5 -i'd say it is probably as strong as your toploader.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a gear vendor's OD in a F450 sd garbage truck with a navistar and a 4 speed.it was a company truck and i beat the living piss out of it and it held together real well. even dumping the cluch in first gear, it would not break. i actualy blew all of the teeth off of the pinion before the trans cooked a bearing from lack of oil. i was so glad to se that thing go, i got a new truck later.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see using a gear vendors for Gary's truck or a heavy duty tow vehicle. Something that needs twice the gears to get to speed. I just can't see it being cost eficiant for a muscle car owner. To each his own I guess, everyone want's to be different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree the Gear Vendors overdrive seems pricey, but if you already have a stout 3 speed transmission the cost is comparable to a complete change out.

It will cost you on the order of $2500 for a Tremec setup or about the same for say a Lentech AOD and everything to install it.

I am fairly serious considering one for my 69 Mustang with a C-4. Might actually be a bit cheaper if you forget the original cost of the C-4. Plus six forward gears is pretty cool.

As far as strength goes I talked direct with the guys at Gear Vendor and they claim the overdrive unit is very stout. They claim the unit I would get for a C-4 is the same overdrive used in some 6-second 1/4 mile drag cars without a failure. I think if the overdrive unit can withstand a 6-sec drag car it can stand anything I can throw at it.

Also the install would be very easy for my C-4. Far easier than a switch to a Tremec or even a AOD.

Dale302

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dale302 on 1/4/02 12:45pm ]</font>

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree Dale.
It took me about 2 to 3 hours to install. I already had a built C4. A AOD or T5 is not nealy as easy to swap. Many mods.
I'm told the vendor can handle over 1000hp.Who knows for sure! I never heard of anyone break one. By the way I do know of a couple of Mopars with 600HP. running gear vendors for 2years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hamiltt,

How do you like your C-4 / Gear Vendor comb?

What rearend gear ratio are you running?

Any other comments or insight would be nice.

Thanks,

Dale302

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dale, I am very satisfied with the vendor. The shift is very firm like a shift kit! Being able to shift in and out at any speed gives you alot more options for ratios while driving around town or racing.
I gave a friend a ride on christmas day, he said I shift my mustang as fast a his sport bike! The gears go by fast with 6 speeds! I'm running 3.55's with a lockrite 26" tall tires.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I can see a c-4 with a gear vendors, compared to having an aod built and installed. Having 6 or 8 forward gears is a neat consept, but I really only need 1 extra gear, the last one. I don't have any problems with their dependability claims either. If they're being installed in garbage trucks then they better have their stuff together. Since I already have an explosion proof bellhousing, the swap to an O/D isn't terrably bad. I love my toploader, I just wish it would shift one more time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since Jimmy66 has a top loader and not a C4, the comments on putting one behind the C4 while interesting have no relevance. I agree that it could be more cost effective to put the od behind the automatic. However, putting one behind a top loader probably is not.
I recently replaced my top loader with a T5 and the difference is emmence. Shifting is much smoother and that od is really worth while. I always had problems with the Hurst shifter. the shift arms would bend/warp during the shift sometimes making me miss a shift. No problems with a T5. The T5 is an easy swap, there being two ways to do it. It can also live behind 400+ hp. the tremac is about as easy to install, and will handle even more hp. I have wondered about going to a T56, but that swap requires messing with the trans hump and lack of good adapters. My opinion is that the high strength version of the T5 would be a good way to go. You could do it for less than $2000 even if you had someone do it for you.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve I'm good with hands on and bolt ons. Just not with wallet ons.
I do like the gear vendors idea, I'm just a broke SOB. The probability of finding a used tremec is much better than finding a used gear vendors. I'm glad that hamillt likes his gear vendors. It does seem like a cool ride. 'Specially if it shifts like a shift kit. I'd do a T-5 since I'm cash limited but I'm just gonna break it. So I might as well save the money and wait for the tremec.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I agree if you already have a manual tranny the Tremec or T-5 comes in cheaper, but for us with stout C-4s the Gear Vendor is attractive. Though either option bites a hugh chuck out of your wallet.

Dale302

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just one more tidbit of info. The vendor does have a brain in wich makes it fully automatic overdrive to shift in overdrive at what ever speed you have it programmed for by the mfg. Therefore it actually imitates a regular 4 speed auto. if you desire to have in auto mode. I find myself about 50/50 in manual or auto mode. Justs depends if there's a chevy in my sights! Ha!!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hamiltt, what are you using for a drive-
shaft? I've got the GV unit in my 68 stang
with a C6. Although I've got the driveline
pretty well sorted out, I've still got a
slight harmonic. I think the steel shaft
will have to go to solve the issue.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a custom steel shaft made but it looks as if it is still ford issue yoke on the diff end. No major vibes than normal for a 30 year old car. If you need you can lower the xmember to correct the degree.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've got a custom
steel driveshaft from JE Reel in Pomona,
but it may not be quite right from the
perspective of balance. I'm thinking about
a composite from a place in Huntington Bch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is a gearvender overdrive with a c6 adapter and controls that should work at pickett auctions .com that will be closeingwednesday night,dec4th.that is an online auction in idaho.its only up to 200 so far because no one seams to know whay it is.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know it is an old topic but I've got a question about GV.

How does it work when you downshift (full manual valve body and a ratchet shifter)?

Let's say you are in 3rd over then you want to downshift to 2nd, will the GV know you are downshifting and will disengage the 3rd over and let you put the 2nd?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check on their web site. The way I understood it was it had a switch, just like my AOD, that alowed you to select direct or over. Didnt affect trans at all. With the manual valve body, you could accually split the gear....kinda like a 2speed truck rear end or a 13speed semi truck trans can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts