Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Gearbox adjustment -voodoo science?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dragman64 
#1 ·
My parents 65 Comet wagon has a lot of play in the steering wheel and tends to wander. I can't find any problems in the tie rods, balljoints, or other suspension parts, aside from a worn spring perch and the shocks getting rather tired.
I would like to try to eliminate some of the play the gearbox has, what is the procedure for this?

Thanks for any help, Roadwarrior.

#2 ·
This is the way I have done it in a manual steering box. Make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Then loosen the locking nut on the box and tighten down the stud a little bit at a time, keep checking the play you have in the steering wheel. Never over tighten the stud or you will damage the bearings. If the box is worn badly you won't beable to get all the play out but it will be better. Hope this helps.
PS if you have P/S the car should be running.

#4 ·
Hey thanks guys. I was thinking about the idler arm too, but I can't seem to get much wriggle out of it when checking it, so I think its OK. Plus the wheels want to return to center after a turn, which is also a good sign as I understand.
Thanks Roadwarrior

#6 ·
guy at the alignment shop did it for free for me.

Raise up one front wheel, and leave the other on the ground. Now see if you can move the wheel in the air back and forth. I didnt realize how bad my idler arm was until I did this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.