Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Nationwide bill and it was crazy. I looked into Geico and I would literally save $2,200 a year with my 3 cars. However I know nothing about them and do not want any issues if I, God forbid, ever have an accident or any other claim. What are peoples experiance with them?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I asked a friend at a body shop about insurance a while back. He mentioned avoiding Geico.
I'd think it would be for a reason so I heeded his advice.
That is all I can offer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When the insurance cos. reps start on the 'service' angle, run away. I always tell them that if they don't honor a legitimate claim, they will be telling it to a Judge. I have quite reasonable rates. John--Las Vegas

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I don't like Geico at all but only cause of friend's experiences not my own. State Farm or Farmers might be ok, i know they are a pain to fight against at least. lol Progressive is another that i haven't heard good about from a couple different friends.

I really don't like shopping for new insurance at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i just got gieco and dropped progressive.

Geico
a 2006 kia, 2 galaxies and a falcon: more coverage and cheaper.

Progressive
State minimum coverage and would of paid more

Progressive wasnt bad, i just needed more coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
You would have to compare the amount of coverage, apples to apples. I had State Farm for about 35 years and now I have Allstate. I switched when I got married 12 years ago because that's what she had and it was easier. I have had very good luck with both of them. No questions asked on any claims. Personally, I would rather pay more and not have to worry when I have to use it.
Besides I get so SICK of those geico and progressive commercials!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I had GEICO for 13 years. I had great rates, I switched to ALLSTATE 3 years ago because Geico couldn't match their coverages and rates. I saved about $40 bucks per month going with Allstate. That's nearly 500 per year savings over a company I'd been with for 13 years straight....

CALL AROUND, and NEVER accept the entry rates, ASK for the normal non promotional rates. That way you get a TRUE projection of your rates after any promotional BS t5hey use to get your ass to sign up.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I have a few suggestions from my personal experience. First, your State Insurance Commissioner has all kinds of info on car insurance companies, including local customer satisfaction, percentage and percent of claims paid, etc. Call their office and they will mail or link you to the info. It is a real eye-opener! Oh, and a guide to coverages in plain English - not a salesman's version, either. ;)

Second, we have had nightmares with insurance companies, and many turn into your enemy as soon as they have to pay anything substantial. You really need first-hand experiences of more than scratch and dent to make judgment here.

Finally, I have had good success using an insurance broker (not agent). They look at all companies and select the best one based on what you request (best customer satisfaction, best rates for your specific car, best prices for umbrella, etc.). Based on this I have had insurance from companies like Lloyds of London (holy crap unbelievably cheap! ... at the time) to my current carrier - CountryWide. By how the rates keep changing, I expect to switch companies again in the next couple years. BTW, I got CW as they weren't quite the cheapest, but had the best satisfaction and percentage of claims paid by a substantial margin. I figure why pay a little less if you'll get a lot less? HTH

David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Co. and that is what they use to be. I was with them when I was overseas because that was one of the few companies that provided that coverage. I went from State Farm to Geico and when I returned I went back to State Farm because they were nation wide. I've been with State Farm since 1970 and that is for my own personal reasons. Today Geico is selling to the masses and having to advertise 24 hours a day as does Progressive. I figure a company that has to advertise that much must not be on top of the game.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Friend in GA had geico for years, low rates etc til he had an accident and then they dumped him. He told me to get them they were cheapest. They were way higher than what he was paying as a single male so i ended up with AIG i think it was. Now it's USAA but that's military or gov only i believe. But 4 accidents, 3 not fault and we are still on board so far. Hate trying to find insurance. I like psig's advice. Didn't know about that info!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have State Farm on everything except the Falcon and the Fairlane.

I didn't like the fact when I was looking at my full coverage amount on the policy for those cars. The value was listed under $3K. When I called to ask about that and if one was totaled what would I receive. They said that's book value. Don't worry, if something happens we will work it out.

Both of those cars are now insured through a classic car insurance company located in the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Ky. Insured at a agreed upon amount after supplying pictures and list of modifications.

We found some companies would not insure if the cars had been modified from OEM.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Being military I've been with USAA since I started driving and they have treated me great, when the accidents I've had that weren't my fault USAA went right for the throat of the other drivers insurance and always got what I wanted. When the accidents were my fault they never raised my rates or dropped me.

BUT....USAA won't insure classic cars anymore so I had to go with Hagerty for my 66, I sent in pics along with an appraisal and I set the price of the 66. There are limits to how much you drive a year and they ask you becareful and not leave it for long periods of time when your out running here and there for whatever. It's not my daily driver so no big deal.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Being military I've been with USAA since I started driving and they have treated me great, when the accidents I've had that weren't my fault USAA went right for the throat of the other drivers insurance and always got what I wanted. When the accidents were my fault they never raised my rates or dropped me.

BUT....USAA won't insure classic cars anymore so I had to go with Hagerty for my 66, I sent in pics along with an appraisal and I set the price of the 66. There are limits to how much you drive a year and they ask you becareful and not leave it for long periods of time when your out running here and there for whatever. It's not my daily driver so no big deal.
Hadn't heard about them not insuring classic cars anymore but then all i have is liability on mine anyway. That might be why.

The limitations is what i don't like about the classic insurances. Granted most are not daily drivers but there has been a few times in the past 5 yrs that mine was the only driver. Finally we got a 3rd vehicle so i didn't have to drive it then the son got a job and he drove the truck so i was back to driving the '64. Finally he has his own rig now though! I actually prefer to drive mine than the truck but it's easier to just get in the truck and go than to move it to get the car out of the garage. Call me lazy if you want. :)

If it's ever fixed then i'll be finding a more fitting insurance for it for sure!

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I have State Farm on everything except the Falcon and the Fairlane.

I didn't like the fact when I was looking at my full coverage amount on the policy for those cars. The value was listed under $3K. When I called to ask about that and if one was totaled what would I receive. They said that's book value. Don't worry, if something happens we will work it out.

Both of those cars are now insured through a classic car insurance company located in the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Ky. Insured at a agreed upon amount after supplying pictures and list of modifications.

We found some companies would not insure if the cars had been modified from OEM.

Jet
Good info, and YES, "we will work it out" is complete and total BS. Been there, done that. Most companies will write a "stated value" policy. If you say you want it covered for $25,000, then they will do exactly that, and the rates will match. But, you will be covered. Other companies do a supported value policy, where you show why your car is worth X dollars, they sign that they agree, and the policy value is set at that. Reminder to everyone of a simple rule - if it's not in clear writing in the policy, it will not happen. And sometimes not even then.

David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Pennsylvania is unique when it comes to auto insurance. I looked into USAA, spent a couple of hours on the phone, could not match State Farm. Most of the companies that advertise saving you X amount over your old policy don't usually compare to State Farm and they end up being teaser or intro rates and at the end of the day you end up paying more. I'm not here to push one company over another, it just works out that way. If I was in Texas or Colorado it would probably be different.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
After I switched over to Allstate I did keep State Farm on the Galaxie because Allstate didn't offer a classic car policy. I wanted to increase my coverage last Fall. To shorten up a long story I found out that State Farm was changing their policy (in Ohio anyway). It doesn't matter what it is insured for the adjuster determines what they will actually pay you. My State Farm agent even suggested I look into another company. She said State Farm was getting out of the classic car insurance. I talked to Hagerty and that is were I will probably go when my State Farm policy runs out in the Spring.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I went to the Hagerty site and it looks like they do not offer liability or collision. In fact I searched "theft" and got no hits, either. Driving without those coverages seems like a bad idea to me, and maybe to the great state of Texas, too.

Looks like the only time you can collect is if lightning hits your car - assuming it was properly parked in your garage!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
After we had a small house fire, candles left burning caught wall on fire, but, all smoke damage, ins. company decided our rates were much to low, at year end tried to boost 35%!
Switched to Allstate, only company that noted a 15% break because i had a fire hydrant on front lawn, overall a yearly savings off around 450 bucks for House- 3 cars including 06 GTO.
I;ve had one claim since joining Alstate, after only 2 months, too, i got to pick the company to fix & not a question asked -just get er done!
(upstairs bathroom flood, floor, celing,etc)
Fairlane which is with Lant- Silver wheel now owned by Haggerty, & a bit of a surprise, asked for a new appraisal, pictures to reinstate at current value
so, i have to get a new apraisal , 150 bucks.
i;ve got a bit of a feeling about them asking for this, maybe i;m just being paranoid, will see

·
Registered
674 Posts
I found a lot of insurance companys wount replace anything that isnt factory or any added eletronic devices radio cd gps etc. They will want to replace body parts with junk yard parts.
I went with Classic inshurance as there is a set value. newer non classic cars a bit different situation but one of my cars has very few stock parts except the body.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts