Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny thing how random people come in a post random thoughts.
When they learn they dissappear. Nothing more to give back.
Would'nt it be nice to hear of the sucesses and fallouts of the people trying to figure it all out. I think so. Once upon a time I too asked a question and did not get a response worth mentioning. I fixed the dilema and shared the results/answers. Where are all the passers by? Sometimes I think "why bother?"

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
It is kinda rude to "eat 'n run", but that's just the way of the world. It's the difference between sitt'n talki'n with a bunch of friends you have known since H.S.and posting to a web forum.

There is a brighter side though.... good thing, is every once in a while a few guys live close enough to actually drive over and give each other some help on their projects. It ain't perfect, but sometimes it works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad you brought up the topic. The post I placed,received little response,granted, the few that answered provided me with great (Priceless) information, the greatest part is they
seek nothing in return but to assist a fellow enthusiast!!!!!!
and keep our prized posessions improved and going....Man, this site really kicks ass.Without the founders and people contributing, no site could be sucessful as FM.Thanks all of those that contributed and those also that have not,YET>
Had to become a Subscriber to contribute to the continued success and the PRICELESS educational information!!
NO B.S. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
EDZ56 & EDZ64

·
Registered
92 Posts
The net is changing. Its evolution is alot like the free-love 60's up to now where disease makes people require a health certificate and a short arm/and vulva with a blacklight inspection before engaging.

Folks are afraid of each other nowadays, and the net is suffering. Add to that the closing up of free sharing of information that was the original concept, to quick make a buck sites, people are tiring of the internet.

Web communities have changed too. Even people of similar interest seem to have difficulty tolerating each other, and many discussion threads end up in a big sissyfight that shouldn't. I miss the old days when you could call someone a f*ckin' bastard with both of you knowing each others names and you both went back to your wrenches and got it done. Who ever was right was right in the end, and everyone learned from it. And neither one of the combatants would hold a grudge and be right back discussing.

Communication these days is just too much trouble and few people have the patience any more. Everyone gets their feelings hurt when you disagree seems like. I grew up with as the little mascot of the old school rodders my dad hung with. A wrenching session with beer usually got a couple of hotheads at one another and I've seen the best of friends dealing each other a bloody nose. I never once saw any of them leave in a hissy, and if someone "outside" picked a fight who do you think would take his back first? And these guys ragged on me, as I was just a little 8 yr old kid, until I'd chase them around with a tire tool. But I didn't hold a grudge and walk up to them with a tire iron the next time I saw them and whack them with it. It wasn't the way business was done. It was about the cars and tuning them up like musical instruments and playing music with them. Bob Johnson's 55 Chevy against my dad's 55 Ford, or my uncle LuVern's '49 Merc angainst Ralph Jonhson's '50 Olds. I rode shotgun with all of them and I learned their code of conduct.

Contrast this with all of the badmouthing people get from anonymous communication, and all of the sissy ways people react to things, there aren't a lot of people willing to invest in friendships any more. Its why you will always see my name on my posts. I believe in that investment, if you don't agree with me thats fine, lets fuss it out and forget it. We'll go to the wrenches and next time I'll have your back just like I hope you'll have mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good thread.

Toss in the fact that there are those, who like me, are so new to the galaxie that we ask questions when we need help and quietly sit back and watch faithfully everyday soaking up information on threads that we don't have a clue as to how to give input.

I know there are a lot of "eat and runners" out there, but don't think that we are all doing this. Some of us are just novices and are watching and learning. Believe me, I can't wait to be able to give some input that might actually help someone!

Thanks for all the valuable knowledge - I talk up this forum more than you can know and appreciate it even more.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-07-07 04:00, jhovis wrote:
Good thread.

Toss in the fact that there are those, who like me, are so new to the galaxie that we ask questions when we need help and quietly sit back and watch faithfully everyday soaking up information on threads that we don't have a clue as to how to give input.

I know there are a lot of "eat and runners" out there, but don't think that we are all doing this. Some of us are just novices and are watching and learning. Believe me, I can't wait to be able to give some input that might actually help someone!

Thanks for all the valuable knowledge - I talk up this forum more than you can know and appreciate it even more.
I hear what you are saying... it is better to sit and listen to get the feel for a group for a while.

I think the point is to close the loop. If you learned something from a question answered, it seems only fair to let the person or person(s) know that his/their advice helped or solved the problem. It’s also just as fair to report back what didn't work. We all sharpen our skills from listening and learning from each other. Very few of us have the time, talent or cash to personally tryout every “trick”, speed tip or even remember all the stuff that keeps these old Gals running. Plus its harder to stay on top of whats new out there, there is just so much stuff to read, and less chance to hear from real people to know if the latest product is more hype than help.

Even guys that have been in this hobby for years learn something from the new guys - every once in a while. A lot of the things that were "known facts" just a few years back have been made obsolete by products new on the market, or due to changes in attitude (like DuraSpark distributors are now preferred over Dual points...or Edelbrock aluminum heads are often included in a street build, where before a good port, polish and larger valves of factory iron heads was considered a better deal.)

Some the changes are based on the greatly increased cost of machine work (as well as the increased chance that the machinist is only as good as the program on his CNC computer...would not know an original or old school idea without buying a clue). You just have to adapt; learn to flow with the times, roll with the punches. Add in all the "peek over the fence" neighborhood harassment laws and its a wonder car guys haven't gone Postal
, more often than they do. Seems like wrenching (real up to the elbows in grease and oil, not just swapping scoops, air dams and 20 in rims) is a dying hobby in a lot of places. Houses are smaller, more people live in apartments/condos, just have Carport instead of garages, even if they do have them - garages are smaller or clutttered with washers/dryer...all of "Mamas stuff"; the spirit of invention and making mistakes until you get it right is harder to come by. Most heinous of all ... is there are more rules and as*wipes to pacify.

Sometimes an "Atta' boy", is as welcome as a cold beer, a cool breeze and bit ‘o shade on an Devil hot, Oklahoma summer afternoon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/7/06 10:08pm ]</font>

·
Registered
303 Posts
i think the people useing the net have changed. after watching my kids grow up basically living on it i've noticed the rules of converstioanl etiquite have morphed. hit and run. just drop the conversation if your done. used to get on my kids about it but is hard since thats part of the culture i guess.

as far as "calling someone a f&^kin bastard" in person goes they don't seem to do that much anymore. would probably cause a nervous breakdown. used to be the ultimate way to settle a disagreement was to beat the crap out of each other till someone had enough. still happens but not often. atleast around here. i'm in iowa not iraq.

on the upside i think while things have changed in some ways i don't think they've gotten worse. just different. still alot of good people out there.

p.s. i hear "caps" are out as well.
scott

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good point - feed back is always the key to making anything work. I for one - being a new guy - will be taking your point to heart and putting it into action on this forum!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
This place is great. Its one of the few places i go to every day and read the new posts. Its one of the most valueable Galaxie resourses on the net!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This IS the premier Galaxie and any Ford forumn. There is another dedicated to only the motors as well. It too is a tremendous asset. However, This is the most friendly. The other will chew you up and spit you out in a hurry for having to candid an opinion. Here resides common folk with common intrests and there is no other place quite like it. Post your questions, get the answers, make some friends, and post your sucesses! That's the real spirit.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I couldn't have accomplished as much as I have with my Gal without this forum. I try and let everyone know the outcome of a problem or questions I have had as well, but I am sure sometimes I get the answer that fixes a problem and forget to let everyone know. I also get a ton if info just reading the posts.
Like said above, great info here!! and Great people.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The time of the year has a lot to do with people being off the net. In the summer people are working on their projects more, and are playing with their cars more. When people are working on their cars in the winter there are more people here. Personally I like the Shows, Cruises, and Flea Markets in the summer. I stay out of the house all that I can in the summer.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I can say that there is most definately a consistent group that frequents this forum, gets, and gives information as needed. I dont get shook about the ones that are like fairweather friends because there are enough of us that stay with it and truely make this more of what a club should be like as opposed to a more functional chat room. I would say as much as 75% of my current knowlege of the hobby has come from the internet in the last year or so. 50% being from this forum, that says alot I think. Its all good.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I try to read here every day or so, I don't always have something to add, but I try when I can. There is a good mixture of old Galaxie hands and new ones, so something can always be traded. Sorry, it's not in my nature to be longwinded on the keyboard, but in person I can share a word or two.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The car hobby's very nature is changing. A few years back the major debate was "to flat head or not to flat head." And anyone with a need to create had to create the parts themselves. That took talent, time, and someone willing to train the guy in the first place. That's where the old garage came in. Greasy guys up to any task and 8 year old hanger-ons laughing at jokes he didn't understand but would commit to memory for later use.

Today's guys can still build and create, but society has changed. A guy can buy just about any part he wants and often doesn't have the time or desire to get greasy. More power to 'em. I know how tools work, but I'm not the guy you want turning one on your car. So I balance between doing what I can and paying someone else. I'm 46 years old and don't particularly want care how to rebuild an engine. Does this mean I can't wear the Car Guy shirt?

My wife will not tolerate a car in pieces on the driveway for more than a day or two (she was supportive though slightly tweaked when my friends and I took a week to "build" a demo derby car in the garage). And I'll admit that when looking to buy our house, I didn't even let the agent stop in neighborhoods with cars parked in the yard.

For the world at large, and this forum specifically, the internet allows people access to more information faster than ever before. Communists fear knowledge and restrict information. Democratic societies embrace it.

Daimler and Benz built their first cars within fifty miles of one another yet never had a clue the other existed. Whereas if I need to remove the door glass from my '66 hardtop, I can have a dozen people chiming in. But to some extent, I wanted to give it a try myself before calling in the Galvary.

I produce a monthly magazine called the Automotive Calendar of Events. It has information about car clubs, auto services, and automotive-related events in California, Nevada, and Arizona. We print 56 pages each month and there seems to be no end to the variety of activities going on every weekend of the year.

Car shows are for more than displaying your hobby/passion. They allow folks to see what others have done, share information and resources, get ideas. Otherwise we'd be living in isolation. This forum provides us with a daily car show, sans the actual cars, long hot hours on a parking lot, and ears straining to hear yet another lame PA system. Why Galaxie posts outnumber all others (combined) on the FM site is beyond me and doesn't matter.

It's a demented passion. One which I fully embrace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: specnot on 7/9/06 1:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
"CALLING IN THE GALVARY" now that is totally cool. Wish I could tell you all how many times I have parked my squad car next to a wireless hot spot for my laptop and did just that when I have exhausted all my resources (which is often) to fix or figure out something.

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!
Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 7/9/06 4:06am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
On 2006-07-07 07:00, Beoweolf wrote:
I think the point is to close the loop. If you learned something from a question answered, it seems only fair to let the person or person(s) know that his/their advice helped or solved the problem. It’s also just as fair to report back what didn't work. We all sharpen our skills from listening and learning from each other. Very few of us have the time, talent or cash to personally tryout every “trick”, speed tip or even remember all the stuff that keeps these old Gals running. Plus its harder to stay on top of whats new out there, there is just so much stuff to read, and less chance to hear from real people to know if the latest product is more hype than help.

Even guys that have been in this hobby for years learn something from the new guys - every once in a while. A lot of the things that were "known facts" just a few years back have been made obsolete by products new on the market, or due to changes in attitude (like DuraSpark distributors are now preferred over Dual points...or Edelbrock aluminum heads are often included in a street build, where before a good port, polish and larger valves of factory iron heads was considered a better deal.)

Some the changes are based on the greatly increased cost of machine work (as well as the increased chance that the machinist is only as good as the program on his CNC computer...would not know an original or old school idea without buying a clue). You just have to adapt; learn to flow with the times, roll with the punches. Add in all the "peek over the fence" neighborhood harassment laws and its a wonder car guys haven't gone Postal
, more often than they do. Seems like wrenching (real up to the elbows in grease and oil, not just swapping scoops, air dams and 20 in rims) is a dying hobby in a lot of places. Houses are smaller, more people live in apartments/condos, just have Carport instead of garages, even if they do have them - garages are smaller or clutttered with washers/dryer...all of "Mamas stuff"; the spirit of invention and making mistakes until you get it right is harder to come by. Most heinous of all ... is there are more rules and as*wipes to pacify.

Sometimes an "Atta' boy", is as welcome as a cold beer, a cool breeze and bit ‘o shade on an Devil hot, Oklahoma summer afternoon.
well put.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
good thread......except for guys like me who love to share exp........but cant type worth s...!!!!! this reply took 5 mins....want to guess what a whole paragraph would take?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I write alot, but still type with six fingers (they call them "fing"ers -- but I've never seen mine "fing&quot

Warm nights, a few Corona's and a passion trigger is all it takes...

We had a family party at my house today. My brother-in-law was eyeing my Galaxie. I told him about how the car is more than just transportation. I could have bought a new car and driven around like anybody else, I told him. But when you get an old car, there is a story behind it. Why that kind of car as opposed to something else? Why paint it that color? And on and on (there's a 12 step program for long talkers called on-and-on-anon).

Short story: my Galaxie has had a checkered past that I will never know. So long as the title is mine, it has has gone from a POS to a bare metal, engine-less hulk, to a neat looking pin striped poor running POS, to a good running neat looking thumbs-up memory vehicle. All in the span of one year.

I told him all that and about searching for parts, posting on the forum, hoping for the best, and working side-by-each with my daughter.

I figure he's living vicariously through me and I've chosen not to disappoint him. The truth works so I'm sticking with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts