Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! I have a rebuilt Generator and regulator that i just installed with a ameter and voltmeter also on my FE. So I light up the engine and the ameter (which reads a max of 30) pegs out on the charging end, but within 3 minutes its dropped down to 15 and then to 0... now, when it reaches 0 my voltmeter reflects a 10 or 11 volt reading. I can run my headlights for 20 minutes without the regulator charging again. sometimes, if i rev it up it will begin to charge again, but then fall off again within minutes. I understand that the ameter wont charge if the battery doesn't need it, however seems odd it wouldn't pick up with the headlights on... am i missing something?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Also maybe try tapping the regulator with a screwdriver handle when its not charging like it should and see if the amps or voltage go back to normal. This is assuming it's not an electronic regulator.

Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, so i added an additional ground from the generator ground post, to the chassis and then up to the voltage regulator mounting bolt. This time when it started it showed charging amperage (20-30) and the voltmeter read 13.5 volts for the first time, however it seemed to jump between 13.5 and about 13.9 volts in sync with the ameter jumping 20-30. Again though, within 5 minutes the amp gauge was back down lower (0-10 fluctuating) and my voltmeter to 11... ugh

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
maybe you need to polarize generator....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts